Page 1 of 2[12 Last

Rolly Polly/sow bug infestation

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
GardenQueen
Posted: Jul/15/2006 9:38 PM PST

I keep reading in my books that rolly pollies/sow bugs don't damage plants, but honestly, they're everywhere and are chewing holes in my coreopsis and pansies.

So how do you get rid of these things? I've cleaned out the garden, so that's not the problem. Anyone know anything about these?
razorback
Posted: Jul/19/2006 11:24 PM PST

Alot of people think they only eat dead and decaying matter, They will eat you up !! I put out some newguinea impatiens in containers along with 2 trays of marigolds[120] I then got preoccupied with rooting some plumerias and in 2 days or should I say nights they had dessimated both to the ground.I use marigolds to repel bugs. Sow bugs are not a true bug, they are related to crayfish and even have gills. They when there is a population of them, like around all these live oaks really go after succulent ,tender stuff.Ordinary insecticides do not phase them. The only remedyI have found for them is to sprinkle some diatomaceous earth around where they go and around the base of plants, This repels them and they carry it away with them to others and it interpheres with the molting process and you win by attrition. My grandmother used to put''navy snuff'' right out of the can around the plants, seems nothing like nicotine.And deprive them of anywhere to hide, like boards or anything laying on the ground. They require moisture as well. I have raked up all the leaves ,picked up pots and set them on bricks etc. I have watched chickens peck at them and not eat them, now you know when a chicken doesnt like something,,its bad.. The diatomaceous earth is also good for the soil and will not harm the pets..good luck, they are really tenacious creatures.they havent changed since the dinosaurs, so they know what they are doing..............Rolly polly crunch!! no mercy.
GardenQueen
Posted: Jul/20/2006 8:29 PM PST

THANK YOU! Everyone keeps saying they're not harmful, but honestly, that's not my experience. They completely destroyed my gorgeous Scottish moss by eating the roots out from underneath.

I read somewhere that DE would work, but I've never used it. I'll give it a try and report back.

But thanks. I was beginning to think I was losing my mind or eyesight--like there must be something else there I couldn't see.
vegemm photos
Posted: Jul/22/2006 1:58 AM PST

Not that I really can help...but I thought I might share how mine are now going away...My grandson was out in the garden with me two days ago...and I look over and he has something in his mouth...I run over and get it out and yes...it was a rolly Polley...so I tel him no ...and he turns around grabs another puts it into his mouth and then blows...sailing right into my leg....well we both just started laughing so hard...but I have seen fewer in the last day...
GardenQueen
Posted: Jul/24/2006 12:15 PM PST

So that's what I need! A grandchild! Since I have two teen daughters, I think I'll try DE first!
DaisyMom blog photos
Posted: Jul/18/2007 11:51 AM PST

Beer works for me, put small cups of beer around your garden. You'll have cups full of rolly polly bugs without hurting your plants. Just empty them and add more beer & you'll have more dead bugs.

Good luck
Diva0467
Posted: Oct/31/2007 6:32 AM PST

oK, WE HAVE A Rolly Polly/sow bug infestation IN OUR DRAINS IN THE HOUSE! omg! i HAVE never SEEN THIS BEFORE. wHAT SHOULD WE DO TO GET RID OF THEM?
OOPS sorry about caps.
travelguide
Posted: Sep/16/2008 11:12 PM PST

Bed bugs won't only eat up the plants but also us.Didn't hear wine can kill bedbugs. Will give it a try.All the while I am using DDT spray to protect my plants from these pests.
travelguide
Posted: Sep/24/2008 4:25 AM PST

Before Rolly Polly bug gets into your house and also neighbourhood try to get rid of them .We had this problem and have contacted www.bedbugbreau.com to visit our building and help us to get rid of them.
naughtygirl
Posted: Oct/11/2008 10:15 AM PST

Didn't know bedbugs also infected the crops. Heard bedbugs got its name since they are generally found in the beds. Any way if bedbugs are there you can treat them with the treatment offered by deadbedbugs.com which is very effective.
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account