Plants that root in water

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Judomi blog photos
Posted: Oct/05/2006 6:44 PM PST

Flowering maple also roots in water. My first time trying it. I took three cuttings, one I placed in water and 2 in soil. They all rooted. :animorang
Kale
Posted: Oct/05/2006 7:14 PM PST

Excellent rooting ALL!
I finally got a Butterfly Bush cutting to root!!!!!! And some of the seed germinated that I threw down ,not sure if it was from last year or this throwing !
Oh not sure if I posted this already...but..Russian Sage& (a) Lavender can be started in water too! Along with mints!

Kale
Gramps
Posted: Dec/03/2006 11:05 PM PST

I have trouble with plants that have roots while started in water. When I put them into a good potting soil they seem to want to wilt really quick and I have lost many due to this. Can someone tell me what is wrong ? I did not want to start a new thread for this, as this seemed a good place to interject this question and sometimes a problem for many. If I get no replies soon I will start a new thread on this subject and see if it will get anyones attention. Thank you in advance and sorry if I offended the starter of this thread by asking a question.

Gramps
God bless,
Judomi blog photos
Posted: Dec/03/2006 11:45 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramps
I have trouble with plants that have roots while started in water. When I put them into a good potting soil they seem to want to wilt really quick and I have lost many due to this. Can someone tell me what is wrong ? I did not want to start a new thread for this, as this seemed a good place to interject this question and sometimes a problem for many. If I get no replies soon I will start a new thread on this subject and see if it will get anyones attention. Thank you in advance and sorry if I offended the starter of this thread by asking a question.

Gramps
God bless,

I have had the same thing happen to some of my cuttings. It all depends on the original plants. Some of the starts seem to need the nutrients in the seed starting potting mix to thrive. I have put others directly in a good potting soil and they did well. For me it's been trial and error. I take two rooted cuttings from the same plant, one I place in seed starting potting mix, the other I place in good potting soil.
basil_garden photos
Posted: May/18/2007 8:51 AM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by Vera_EWASH
These have all rooted in water for me, but I usually like to root in straight perlite:

Pothos
Plectranthus
Mint
Basil
African Violet
Avocado
Pepper
Willow

thats all I can drum up right now....

Vera

Hello...

May i know the percentage of rooting in water for Basil... mine all wilted... made me kinda sad to try it again.Any suggestions to make the roots stronger before putting them in soil?

Thanks
Judomi blog photos
Posted: Sep/30/2007 4:45 PM PST

I finally tried ruellia. It rooted in water in 3 weeks. Anyone else trying to root anything new in water?
spiceoflife blog photos
Posted: Sep/30/2007 8:51 PM PST

I'm trying avocado tip cuttings stuck in shredded coconut coir with basically all of the leaves removed. I had tried leaving some of the small ones on, but it just rotted.

I'm also trying some tip cuttings of passion fruit vine in water, as well as some passion fruit vine leaves leaves stuck in shredded coconut coir.

I'll let you know how they turn out. It's so far so good.

I usually prefer to use seed, btw. :-)
Judomi blog photos
Posted: Oct/02/2007 4:47 PM PST

Passion fruit vine does very well in water. I've never tried the leaves. Good luck with them.
RKayne blog photos
Posted: Oct/03/2007 10:30 AM PST

I try almost anything as it seems that cuttings...jump into my hands, they want to come home with me. My wife laughs whenever we get home from a walk when I fill a water glass and toss them on the window sill, haha. I seem to get about a 50-60 percent rooting so I should keep a log of the ones that have worked for me, though a lot of them I have no clue what they are they just looked neat so I had to have them! I bonsai so I really should try a few things. I know I am due to give my Cotoneaster and Japanese Elm a good trim before the cold hits for real, so perhaps I shall see what they do? I have some LONG runners on some of my Japanese Maples...why have I not tried them before, I have no clue!
karslinky blog photos
Posted: Oct/06/2007 12:00 PM PST

I have an English (I think) Ivy (indoor houseplant) that I would like to take cutting from for an indoor topiary - I tried it a few weeks ago, kept soil evely moist (or tried) and the vines just withered. Try again and be sure to keep soil moist?? Other suggestions? This should be easy!
Page 4 of 8 First 23456 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account