trumpet vines will not bloom

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
junco
Posted: Aug/06/2006 4:54 AM PST

Roger, congrats on your buds! Once the vine starts producing, it will be bigger and better each year. Some just seem to take longer. Don't fertilize it--that will encourage foliage at the expense of blooms. We just got home today after being up at the lake (St. Marys) for 9 days and had to leave again to go to grandson's bday party. I haven't had a chance to check out my vine and see if it still has blooms on it. When we eventually move up there, I don't know if I will take a start of my trumpet vine or not. We don't have as much room for it.
BTW--where exactly are you in S. OH? I am in Clayton, a north suburb of Dayton--sort of intertwines with Englewood.
Abhoth--I never heard of squirrels doing that--pesky things!
How tall is your vine?
Abhoth
Posted: Aug/06/2006 6:06 AM PST

Yeah, I don't mind the squirrels until they get after my stuff...! Pepper spray kept them away ... but the earwigs don't care about that so the blooms are a bit dogeared now. But the vines are doing well and it's just the first year so we'll see how it goes...
rogerc20
Posted: Aug/06/2006 6:33 PM PST

Junco,

We live in Germantown. The vine is about 15' high and climbing up the overhang of my backporch.
Daisy
Posted: Aug/06/2006 8:16 PM PST

Congrats Roger!

I have a few blooms myself! First time, and not many, considering the size of the vine now--but I have 2 clumps of buds that are blooming and about 5 or 6more clumps of buds. Finally!!!! LOL
junco
Posted: Aug/10/2006 3:08 AM PST

Roger-yes we are sort of neighbors--fellow Miami Valley-ans. I take my grandkids to Germantown MetroPark several times a year for preschool programs. We will be there next Thurs., 8/17, for a fossil walk. My aunt and uncle used to live on Baden Rd.
How is your vine doing? Did the buds open up? If so, keep an eye out for the hummingbirds and the hummingbird moth.
junco
Posted: Aug/11/2006 5:25 AM PST

I took a close look at my trumpet vine today and it is really out of control since I didn't get around to tying it back at all. It is still blooming, but I removed over 25 seed pods. It is hanging down in front and almost completely shading the obedient plant which is almost ready to bloom and r-e-a-c-h-i-n-g for the light. I think I will take some time to prune at least those branches tomorrow. Most of them are finished blooming anyway.
For those of you new to these vines, TAKE OFF THE PODS!! Otherwise they will ripen and split open dumping thousands, maybe millions of seeds, to add to the root suckers that will not go away no matter what you do.
It rained today, which is good because I was wondering how I would find the time to water. The bad thing was driving home from Cincy in a driving rainstorm on I-75 with a million trucks hogging the road.
junco
Posted: Aug/22/2006 2:24 AM PST

OK, I'm baaack! Finally got around to pruning my trumpet. Yikes! I felt like it was going to wrap me up and keep me prisoner. I also pruned back some volunteer mulberry and other unidentified trees along the fence. Darn birds! Why do they have to poop out the seeds at my fence? As if the trumpet vine weren't enough! I didn't get to it early today and worked after dinner for at least 2 hrs. I bagged up some of the cuttings, but have a LOT more to clean up from the grass. And the flower bed itself-- It was pretty well cleaned up before we left for our cruise in mid-June, but I couldn't do a whole lot during the extreme heat and humidity of July and early Aug. Now it's really a mess of weeds and grass 3 ft tall. But the pink obedient plants under the trumpet vine are hanging in there. They are just starting to open up and after tonight they will be getting the sunlight they need to look good. I'm so glad the weather has cooled off and I can get some work done.
Last Sat. at the lake I worked 3 hrs just cleaning up the side flower bed. Pruning out and also pulling out shasta daisies, pink bee balm, sundrops, not to mention weeds and grass encroaching from the yard. What's with the thistles?? They seem to be on steroids.
I also had to spot water since we haven't had much rain for two weeks. I've got time tomorrow to get as much done as possible. Wed. is busy and Thurs. I am subbing already, the second day of school.
Have a nice week everyone.
maryk
Posted: Sep/02/2006 5:52 PM PST

I tought I was the only with a trumpet vine that has'nt bloomed yet I had it for 3 yrs now nothing yet lots of foliage no blooms.
rogerc20
Posted: Sep/03/2006 1:58 PM PST

Just think how much foliage that looks that good would cost. It will bloom. It may be years, but it will happen.
maryk
Posted: Sep/03/2006 6:21 PM PST

I hope so whats another few years
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account