Bookmark and Share

Page 1 of 3[123 Last

GREEN tomatoes - won't get ripe!

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
ellendanis
Posted: Jun/29/2006 6:21 PM PST

Okay, okay - I admit that I am anxious for some fresh homegrown tomatoes and I admit that waiting patiently isn't my forte. But, here's the deal . . . my tomato plants are loaded with fruit . . LOADED! The tomatoes are all different sizes, from marble to bigger than baseballs. Some of the largest haven't increased in size for several days a couple haven't grown in over 3 weeks! They show NO signs of turning - what should I do?

A friend suggested that I pick them and place them in a paper sack with an apple to ripen. Will that work and produce a good tasting tomato?

Eagerly awaiting your replies,
Ellen
RandyCobb
Posted: Jun/29/2006 6:29 PM PST

Pick a couple and try it. I'm not sure where Celina is, but we have that problem here in Oregon just about every year until the nights finally warm up enough to let the tomatoes finish ripening. So if your nights are cooling down too much, that could be the problem. I didn't think that happened that much in Texas though.
ellendanis
Posted: Jun/29/2006 6:49 PM PST

Celina is about 45 miles north of Dallas. Yes, our nights do cool off . . . tonight it is supposed to get down to 70.

I think I will give the apple and paper bag a try with one of the those big greenies. I will post the results.

Anyone else have any ideas as to why they aren't getting ripe on the vine?
Ellen
RandyCobb
Posted: Jun/29/2006 7:59 PM PST

Son of a gun! I should have known that then. But when I lived in Sherman, I wasn't driving yet, so that could account for my ignorance. We moved from Sherman to California in 1948 when I was 14.

Our temperature is 75 degrees outside right now and will probably cool off to about 45 degrees during the night. Those are our normal temperatures for this time of year. I think 76 is our normal (average) summertime high, but a few days ago we had three days in a row that were over 100 degrees. That's never happened in June before.
RandyCobb
Posted: Jun/29/2006 8:01 PM PST

Okay, I looked at the forecast and they say we aren't going to go below 50 degrees this week.
ncgardengirl photos
Posted: Jun/29/2006 8:38 PM PST

Mine seem to be taking their time ripening as well. I am in Central NC and we have had lots of rain. How low should the temp get to not effect the ripening? Mine are gonna bust from all the rain before the get ripe. I might should pick a few and try the bag trick.
FishinBC blog photos
Posted: Jun/29/2006 9:17 PM PST

You guys can just send the green ones my way. I love fried green tomatoes.:broccoli:
MamaBearBSA photos
Posted: Jun/29/2006 11:22 PM PST

The paper bag trick will work but they won't taste quite as good. But it would be better than nothing.
tomatoman223
Posted: Jun/30/2006 12:37 AM PST

All good things come to those who wait......or I think thats how it goes,LOL.

They will taste much better left on the vine to ripen if at all possible.As everybody has pointed out,the paper bag tricks works too,ifn' you just can't wait

:dancing t
RandyCobb
Posted: Jun/30/2006 4:28 AM PST

We have a couple of master gardeners hereabouts. They can probably answer what the minimum soil temperature should be for ripening the tomatoes. I think it's about 50 or 55 degrees. We have a hard time getting there sometime.
Page 1 of 3[123 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account