Bookmark and Share

Page 1 of 10[123 Last

pickling jalapeno peppers..how

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
melinda9723
Posted: Jun/27/2006 5:46 PM PST

I am new to canning/ pickling things and I was wondering if someone would please tell me how to pickle peppers. I was thinking more down the lines of the jalapeno peppers you buy at the store in a can but have recently learned that they go through some kind of process.
I have 2 jalapeno plants and this morning I sliced them up and put them in some 5% white distilled vinegar. Is this the right way? Do I need to add anything else to it ? Thanks for any and all help.
RandyCobb
Posted: Jun/27/2006 7:33 PM PST

Melinda, if you keep them in the refrigerator, that will probably be fine. But I will be back here this evening and I will look in my literature and see what it says. I responded to another thread here re banana peppers and I need to get back on that one also.
sashweezy
Posted: Jun/27/2006 8:16 PM PST

Melinda you couldn't have a better teacher than Randy when it comes to pickling. All I would add is use gloves when handling them. I buy the surgical gloves at the drug store to use for pickling peppers.
melinda9723
Posted: Jun/27/2006 8:22 PM PST

thanks for the replies. I am so happy someone responede to my post. I just went out and bought some canning supplies. I will eventually get a pressure cooker but for right now I have the bascis, I think. I grew my own jalapenos and for some reason they are not hot so I will keep the glove tip in mind. Hopefully, my next batch will be hot. I will check back later to see what Randy recommends. I hope he read this since I couldn't help but go out and buy some canning supplies,lol
RandyCobb
Posted: Jun/28/2006 2:47 AM PST

Just couldn't wait, huh? That's funny, but I certainly understand. The pressure canner can also substitute for a water bath canner by leaving the weight off the steam vent and not letting the internal pressure build up. I have a couple of pressure canners and three or four water bath canners. I'm going to start with a recipe that is in the Ball Blue Book. That's the one that even though the taste is okay, the peppers were mushy.

Pickled Peppers (Ball Blue Book recipe)
4 qts peppers
1-1/2 cup canning salt
4-1/2 qts water, divided
cup sugar
2 tbsp prepared horseradish
2 cloves garlic
2-1/2 qts vinegar

Cut 2 small slits in each pepper. Dissolve salt in 4 quarts of water. Pour over peppers and let stand about 12 to 18 hours in a cool place. Drain, rinse and drain thoroughly. Combine 2 cups of water and remaining ingredients in a large saucepot. Simmer 15 minutes. Discard garlic. Bring pickling liquid to a boil. Pack peppers into hot jars, leaving ” headspace. Ladle hot liquid over peppers. Remove air bubbles. Adjust 2-piece caps, Process half-pints and pints 10 minutes in a boiling water canner. Wear rubber gloves to prevent hands from being burned.

Notes: Batch #05-1 differed from the basic recipe as follows. The peppers were sweet banana peppers. They were cut in half with tops and tip removed. Seeds and pith were removed. Prepared horseradish used was extra hot, but the quantity used was reduced to 1 slightly rounded teaspoon.
RandyCobb
Posted: Jun/28/2006 2:50 AM PST

The above recipe is for pickling whole peppers. The japaleno peppers I have seen pickled were sliced and that could be done here instead of slitting the peppers. I raise a lot of jalapeno peppers too, but use them in making salsa.
melinda9723
Posted: Jun/28/2006 2:54 AM PST

Hi there Randy,
I am sorry, I jumped ahead but I just couldn't wait. I didn't get the pressure cooker today, trying to sweet talk hubby into getting it for me. But I did get a big pot and jars and pickling salt, strainer, pickle crisp and the blue book and the tongs. As for right now I only have enough peppers for about a half pint but my plants are still growing so there will be more to come. How do I cut dont a recipe so it wont be too much? How long should the peppers sit before I can eat them? ( I hear it is a year). Sorry if I am being a pain but I am dying to try this for the first time,lol
RandyCobb
Posted: Jun/28/2006 2:55 AM PST

This recipe is one that does not require a canner. The peppers that I pickled were the sweet banana peppers, but here again, there is no reason the same recipe won't work for sliced jalapenos.

Marinated Refrigerated PEPPERS (file from Colorado State University)

Remember, all pickled pepper products stored at room temperature must be processed to avoid the risk of botulism toxin development during storage. The boiling water bath processing step can be omitted if pickles are stored in the refrigerator. Use the following procedure.
Wash peppers. Small peppers may be left whole with two small slits in each pepper. Core and cut large peppers into strips.
Sterilize jars, lids, and screwbands. Pack peppers tightly into sterilized jars, leaving ” of headspace. For each 6 cups of brine, combine 5 cups of vinegar, 1 cup of water and 1 tablespoon of pickling salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Pour vinegar solution over peppers, leaving 1/8” headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust headspace so that brine covers all peppers. Wipe rims. Place sterilized lids on jars. Do not put on screwbands. Allow jars to cool. Put on screwbands and wipe jars. Refrigerate 6 to 8 weeks for the pickled flavor to fully develop. Keep refrigerated and use within 6 months. This pepper product allows the peppers tp marinate in a high acid solution, at a cold temperture.
melinda9723
Posted: Jun/28/2006 2:58 AM PST

WOW, that sounds really easy. Thanks so much. I hope they come out ok. Is there a way to do them so they wont get mushy?
RandyCobb
Posted: Jun/28/2006 3:00 AM PST

This next recipe is for Hungarian Wax peppers and is a family recipe passed down from my wife's grandmother. My wife remembers going to the German club in Mansfield, Ohio (her birthplace) and having these pickled peppers on sandwiches. My desire was to duplicate the taste that she remembered as a little girl and she said I accomplished that with the last recipe I posted (marinated peppers). Then she found in her memoribilia the recipe I'm posting here. I will try this one this year I am sure. The thing that concerns me about this recipe is that there is no processing in a hot water bath. That might make mushy peppers though.

Pickled Peppers (Betty Pataky recipe)

Hungarian Semi-sweet Peppers
3 parts water, 1 part 5% white vinegar; bring to a boil, then cool slightly (can be warm). In wide-mouth jars (they are easier), put one teaspoon of salt and 2 cloves of garlic. Then pack in your peppers that have been cut and ribs removed. Pour your cooled solution over peppers. I let mine set overnight covered with waxed paper. Then next morning, fill them again as the peppers absorb some of the liquids, then seal.
Page 1 of 10[123 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account