Page 1 of 2[12 Last

Hi aquired pond and waterfall with our new home

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
FishinBC blog photos
Posted: Jun/27/2006 5:17 PM PST

Hello,

We bought a home this april and in the front there is a pond and water fall. I immedately ran out to get water plants. I have two lilly pads, two papyrus, water lettuce and hyacinths and some grasses. The frogs came and took up residence and we now have tadpoles. There are little snails scouring the rocks and pots. Both lillies should have bloomed out by tomorrow and I will take some pictures to post. So far everything is surviving.

My question is about adding fish, is there anything special I should do to put in some koi or gold fish?

Also, wintering over water plants, can this be done and how?

Thanks All!
ncgardengirl photos
Posted: Jun/27/2006 7:07 PM PST

Hi,

I don't think you need to do anything special for the fish. Just drop em in and feed them once a day. I would start with some cheapo feeder fish just to make sure, i bought some for 12 for $1.50 at my local pet store. I started with 6 last week and two bit the dust already but I'm not sure how old the fish were to start with and i figure they have a short lifespan so I'm thinking its par for the course. I have no clue about overwintering the plants, but i need to find out myself because i just set up a barrel pond. So hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along and help us out.

Welcome to GG and enjoy the ride....

Michelle
FishinBC blog photos
Posted: Jun/27/2006 7:13 PM PST

Thanks NC, I'll start with the cheapies first and see how it goes.
gardenmom
Posted: Jun/27/2006 9:18 PM PST

Hi,

If your lilies aren't tropical, they should winter well, hycinth, lettuce, and papyrus won't survive outside in my zone 6b pond. I overwinter one or two inside, just don't let them freeze. They will multiply quickly in the spring.

As for fish, goldfish and shubunkins work well, koi eat plants and stir up the water badly. I float the bag/slash container I buy the fish in, in my pond for a bit to acclamate them to the water temp, then release them gently into the pond. I have never lost any. If you can find pond raised goldfish in your area they are used to the change in temps as opposed to aquarium raised fish.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your new pond, you'll love it!
Diana
sedumgrow
Posted: Jun/27/2006 10:06 PM PST

do you not have a place that sells minnows for fish bait?here the ''goldfish'' mixed in with the minnows grow to a good size,,and they are cheap too.
pettyk44 photos
Posted: Jun/27/2006 11:45 PM PST

FishinBC, Can we see pics of your pond sound lovely. Kathy
maggieevans photos
Posted: Jun/28/2006 12:51 AM PST

I only feed my goldfish 2 to 3 times a month. They get their food from the plants. They grow and multiply so fast. Mine were given to me by another ponder when he cleaned his pond and I have given away dozens of little ones. I need to give some more away or put them in the creek.
ncgardengirl photos
Posted: Jun/28/2006 2:10 AM PST

I think it depends what you have in your pond as to feed them or not. I'm not sure the plants i have will sustain them,so i feed them a minuscule amount of fish flakes to supplement, probably three times a week. these are raised goldfish for feeder stock so i figure they ain't to hardy. My fish have been pelted by hard rains since i put them in.
Michelle
crabbergirl
Posted: Jun/28/2006 10:25 AM PST

Hi FishingBC,
Welcome to Garden Guides! Please do post some pics of you pond. We would love to see your work.
FishinBC blog photos
Posted: Jun/28/2006 1:03 PM PST

Here are a few pixs

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/Fishin BC/Pond1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/Fishin BC/Pond2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/Fishin BC/Lilly2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/Fishin BC/Purple.jpg[/IMG]
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account