Page 1 of 2[12 Last

What kind of sprinkler do you use?

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
BlueBelle
Posted: Jun/25/2006 2:46 PM PST

I need your help and recommendations again. As usual, I'm interested in what you all use, what you like or dislike about them, your experiences with sprinklers. Preferrably one that won't get stuck watering in one direction. I've seen the ones that rotate but don't know whether they're any good. There are probably all kinds of new spiffy sprinklers out now.
Tammie
Posted: Jun/25/2006 3:24 PM PST

Hi BB,

I still prefer the old standby: the sprinkler that goes back and forth. I find they cover the largest area the fastest and you can control the amount of water going down. They can be set to go both directions, or right or left, etc.

I also have a round sprinkler with a choice of water patterns. I like it set on the widest circle because it does smaller areas. I also like the fact that the water height is fairly low so I can use it below the birdhouse.

There really are a million and one choices these days.
mommabear3604 blog photos
Posted: Jun/25/2006 5:42 PM PST

i agree with tammie. the back and forth ones are the best if you have alot to cover. You move it alot less too and its more fun for the kids to play in.
crabbergirl
Posted: Jun/25/2006 9:05 PM PST

Hi guys,
I have several types including in the ground system.
I have a cheap .98 cent one that I got and it has 3 arms with little moveable spray heads. Man that little joker soakes a wide area and just whips and turns like crazy.
Then I have one that was about $20.00 at Lowes and it actually has a working timer on it. It also has a conversion from hours to inches of water. With our current water restrictions this one is really nice.
Then I have the soaker hoses I use for large shrubs and stands of ginger and lilies!
BlueBelle
Posted: Jun/25/2006 10:29 PM PST

I like the sound of the one with the inches of water feature, CG. What make is that one? Is it a back and forth one or the rotating type?
pennyandrusty
Posted: Jun/25/2006 11:33 PM PST

I'm in the same boat as Tammie. I have tried different ones over the years and the oscillating back and forth ones is the one I use.
BlueBelle
Posted: Jul/16/2006 2:28 AM PST

The problem I find with the oscillating sprinkler is that it covers two much of an area and I end up watering the neighbours' walkways or driveways and the public sidewalk. Our lots aren't very big here. Another problem is that they often get stuck, but that may be the case with any sprinkler.
Mainegal
Posted: Jul/16/2006 2:46 AM PST

I haven't had much luck with sprinklers, mine always get stuck in one direction so will be watching this thread closely
swindyi
Posted: Jul/16/2006 11:09 AM PST

I have one that looks like a little tractor that you set the front wheel over your garden hose and it moves along the pattern you laid your hose out. It has 2 speeds and a nutrual . The water presure moves the tractor . This was a gift from a gardening buddy the first year I put the garden in . It belonged to her grandmother and is very old but I have never had a problem with it.
swindyi
sedumgrow
Posted: Jul/16/2006 1:20 PM PST

i've discovered that is i water i have to mow!! and with the watering ban we're under right now i just take a towel and the soap out with me.if the ''authorities'' notice me,,i immediately wet my hair and begin to lather it.and give zack a wash cloth.drastic times call for drastic measures.or i water under the cover of darkness.never thought id have to be a closet waterer.but night before last i accidentally left the hose on when i was filling the dogs pools and flooded the neighborhood.hope they appreciate it!! but seriously now,,,i use a nozzle with different settings,,some plants tolerate more water than others.and i can control that with a nozzle.
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account