Page 1 of 2[12 Last

Holes in cabbage

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Gardenaddict photos
Posted: Jun/17/2006 2:56 PM PST

I have holes in my cabbage leaves and can't seem to find what is eating away at them. I've tried crushed egg shells but so far no good. What can I do other than insecticides?

GA
treeman blog photos
Posted: Jun/18/2006 12:00 PM PST

I'm willing to be it is cabbage loopers. They are same color as the leaves so a little difficult to pick up. also they are good a hiding under and between leaves in daytime. You will have to conduct a through search to find them. When you do BT works pretty good on them.
trudy blog photos
Posted: Jun/18/2006 12:21 PM PST

If it is those green worms usually you can just hand pick them off. I just wear some latex gloves when I'm worm picking and mash them with my fingers. When they are small they can be hard to find like treeman said. trudy
maggieevans photos
Posted: Jun/18/2006 1:00 PM PST

You can dust yor cabbage with flour. When the worms eat the flour they swell up and burst.
Gardenaddict photos
Posted: Jun/18/2006 5:06 PM PST

Treeman, what is BT?

Maggieevans thanks for the flour tip.. will try...

GA
LoreD
Posted: Jun/19/2006 1:52 AM PST

Another method that has been used sounds kind of crazy but it works. This came from the farmers at the the farmer's market. I also looked it up in several of the old time gardening books from the 1800's. You take a pan of really hot water (by the time you have walked outside it will have cooled enough not to hurt the cabbage) and quickly pour it on the cabbage. The second or two of hot water doesn't hurt the plant but will kill the worms and larvae. You can then use the flour or row cover to prevent the cabbage moths from laying their eggs.

I gave this tip to someone else, (her husband said that it sounded crazy), and she said it worked.

I don't have the problem because after the first year my cabbages went under row cover from day one.

Hope this helps.

LoreD
treeman blog photos
Posted: Jun/19/2006 3:26 AM PST

BT is Bacillus Thurengensis which is a bacteria that infects butterfly and cabbage larva (catepillars) and kills them. its an organic cure.
butterfly1 photos
Posted: Apr/25/2007 6:49 AM PST

You can spray with Neem oil just read directions. This is an all natural bug repellant . It comes from the neem tree in india. I met a guy that sprays his veggies twice a week with this and has no problem with any critters.
greenthumb1 photos
Posted: May/06/2007 4:39 AM PST

I have tried the hot water method on cabbage and cauliflower and it seemed to work great and did not hurt the plant.

The flour method sounds great too. I'll try that this year also
vagreenthumb
Posted: Jun/20/2008 5:31 AM PST

I just read about using hot water or flour on your cabbage plants as far as helping with the holes in the plants caused my cabbage looper. Well my wife tried it yesterday and all six of her cabbage plants look like they are heading to cabbage plant heaven, she boiled the water and then walked outside and poured some on the plants and later on that day they look horrible, me I would say the leaves are pretty much TOAST.... Don't know what we did wrong but it didn't look like it worked to well here in VA....
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account