Page 1 of 1[1]

Coffee kills slugs?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
shinekeeper blog
Posted: Jun/13/2006 11:48 AM PST

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn247 0

Have any of you tried using caffiene to combat these evil slimy beings?? I just read about it yesterday and it seems that the downside is some delicate plants may yellow from the coffee. And beneficial creatures could suffer from the effects...but I'd say that's an issue with any control measure.

Whaddya think?
fozbot3 blog photos
Posted: Jun/13/2006 7:21 PM PST

sounds like the slugs die from a caffeine fit! i've sprayed my lupines w/Listerine/water solution to control aphids and they survived(the lupines,that is). i'm thinking diluted coffee wouldn't hurt the plants and it would be much safer than the alternative.
Gardengoddess photos
Posted: Jun/13/2006 7:22 PM PST

So does it have to be sprayed on the slugs to be effective or would spreading coffee grounds around the plant do the trick...or spray the coffee on the plant itself?

Interesting stuff.

Dora/Garden Goddess
shinekeeper blog
Posted: Jun/13/2006 7:58 PM PST

I read somewhere that the grounds were not effective...a solution needs to be sprayed on the plants. In the tests, they sprayed cabbage leaves and the slugs about stopped eating altogether. They said if it was sprayed on the slugs they immediately starting writhing...so that would work.

Seems I always have leftover coffee as I'm not a fan of it re-heated. I am going to try it. The suckers have eaten my glads up.
Mainegal
Posted: Jun/13/2006 8:06 PM PST

Here is another thread about coffee and slugs

http://www.gardenguides.com/forum/showthread.ph p?t=18089
shinekeeper blog
Posted: Jun/14/2006 11:34 AM PST

Mainey...sorry I didn't see your thread before. I thought I had found the answer all by myself!!!!
cazimere photos
Posted: Jun/14/2006 4:01 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by fozbot3
sounds like the slugs die from a caffeine fit! i've sprayed my lupines w/Listerine/water solution to control aphids and they survived(the lupines,that is). i'm thinking diluted coffee wouldn't hurt the plants and it would be much safer than the alternative.

How much do you dilute the listerine and have you ever tried it on tomatos ?
fozbot3 blog photos
Posted: Jun/14/2006 6:11 PM PST

Caz, i'm trying to remember. seems to me it was about 1/2 a capful to a quart of water. i sprayed my lupines liberally everyday w/this solution. i haven't tried it on tomatos, tho. i got the idea from someone here on GG.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account