Page 1 of 2[12 Last

Watermelon Seedling Thief!

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Kale
Posted: Jun/13/2006 11:47 AM PST

Can anyone tell me if they know who:
a bird, racoon,opposum, a squirrel or someone below the soil is stealing my watermelon babies, left all the squash and picked the watermelon GRRRRRRR the 1st one was just the top torn the next ones the whole thing! grrrrr.

I am just curious if it is the same one that torn the tops of the my pepper and left them there torn apart.

Thank you.

Kale
sassmuffin blog photos
Posted: Jun/13/2006 1:19 PM PST

Sorry Kale, can't pinpoint the critter involved, but something has been eating all of my bush bean seedlings, defoilliated(sp?) half of my roses, hollyhocks,and chewed through a second year red cardinal clematis. I have had to put those plastic milk crates (holds 4 gallons of milk) over them, I tell people they hope to grow in to railroad cars.
Kale
Posted: Jun/13/2006 8:11 PM PST

Last year they were all gone!

I had that problem this year again then remembered to put Artemesia/Wormwood around and now they are all looking wonderful.I think it is slugs on the beans and any kale or collards because the eating stopped! Unless the pestie black birds them *lol

Check out this site, Im new to it and not sure how well these will work but Im trying a few.

http://www.gardensablaze.com/Companions/Compani onAttract.htm

I have read other opions to vearify some of thier claims and others have agreed. This list is just a little more detailed.

Oh now that I think of it... my north annual bed was eaten by something last year.

Hope that helps you some

Kale

Attachments:

dnt32
Posted: Jun/13/2006 9:04 PM PST

I actually caught a critter stealling my bean seeds it was a chipmonk. But I wasnt worried for 2 reasons.

1st) I planted a pound of seed so as I thin the rows I can replant

2nd) I have an awesome dog, she loves killing and eating chipmonks and squirrels and she's quite a hunter.

The next day my son found 2 dead chipmonks. Good girl

Doug
jgardener
Posted: Jun/13/2006 11:05 PM PST

Doug,

Oh, the poor chipmunks! That is just terrible! You are ruining the natural ecosystem in your yard!

As much as I disapprove of your attitude, I will help you. I will board your dog until the end of the summer.
Kozykitten
Posted: Jun/13/2006 11:39 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by jgardener
Doug,

Oh, the poor chipmunks! That is just terrible! You are ruining the natural ecosystem in your yard!

As much as I disapprove of your attitude, I will help you. I will board your dog until the end of the summer.

LOL @ jgardener
Herbyann
Posted: Jun/14/2006 12:19 AM PST

[COLOR="Red"] I've heard of stealing watermellons but one usually wait's till they are ripe!!!! LOL LOL :evilB: [/COLOR]
dnt32
Posted: Jun/14/2006 12:59 AM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by jgardener
Doug,

If I let you board her up then I would then be interupting nature's cycle of life
so to speak, for I didn't train her to do this, but I really think its hormonal cause I thinks she is pregnant.
LOL
For real though she has killed about ten this year already.

Doug
jgardener
Posted: Jun/14/2006 1:20 AM PST

Don't forget to mention this when you are finding homes for the pups.

My dog can go nose to nose with a skunk and not get sprayed; great dog but just a tad too sweet-tempered.

[My cat used to be hell on critters, but she's getting a little older now.]
Kozykitten
Posted: Jun/14/2006 1:52 AM PST

I think I need to borrow her to train my dogs with. They are hard on critters UNTIL the critter enters the yard. Then, well, if it is in the yard---it must belong here. They will chase rabbits all evening out in the fields, but don't so much as look at the ones that come in the yard in the evening
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account