Page 1 of 1[1]

did i mess up?

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
nancydrew
Posted: Jun/05/2006 4:48 AM PST

ok, so i thought i had read everything about where to plant what, and i thought i made a pretty good plan. then after i planted everything i read that 1) you arent supposed to put different types of squash near each other and 2) you arent supposed to put squash near melons because it will make the melons bitter. well i planted pumpkins, acorn and butternut squash right next to each other, and all of those are right next to my watermelon and cantelope plants. did i mess up? is any of that true?
trudy blog photos
Posted: Jun/05/2006 9:03 AM PST

I hope not, cause I have some butternut and a couple others mixed in with some melons. I'd not heard that was a no no either. trudy
treeman blog photos
Posted: Jun/05/2006 10:18 AM PST

ehhhh.... only the summer will tell.... the only problem I can see is the possibility of some cross pollination in the squshes... but that shouldn't affect the fruit of this years plants, I wouldn't think.
gardeninggirl
Posted: Jun/05/2006 1:53 PM PST

I'm really confused about my squash. i planted seeds and now have yellow,i believe spagetti squash, and green, looks like a fat zucchini on the same vine. i ran some on a trellis and let the others grow along the ground the first ones were large the others seem to be half their size. can anyone help?
strmywthr3
Posted: Jun/05/2006 2:04 PM PST

unless you're planning on saving seed to plant for next year from these plants, it won't be a problem. It's when you're saving seeds that you really need to watch out for cross pollination.
nancydrew
Posted: Jun/05/2006 3:08 PM PST

thanks! i wont be saving the seeds for next year, buying the seeds is part of the gardening ritual for me. im weird like that
Whitmore1
Posted: Jun/08/2006 6:45 AM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by nancy drew
ok, so i thought i had read everything about where to plant what, and i thought i made a pretty good plan. then after i planted everything i read that 1) you arent supposed to put different types of squash near each other and 2) you arent supposed to put squash near melons because it will make the melons bitter. well i planted pumpkins, acorn and butternut squash right next to each other, and all of those are right next to my watermelon and cantelope plants. did i mess up? is any of that true?

This is a common veggie garden myth! Like someone said, the only thing that will be affected will be the seeds that are produced and if you aren't saving the seeds it will matter not.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account