Page 1 of 1[1]

Drought resistant groundcover with flower?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Gardenaddict photos
Posted: Jun/01/2006 1:20 PM PST

I have a steep hillside which is very dry, probably because of run-off. I need a ground cover or creeping flower of some sort that 1) reisists drought or does well in dry conditions 2) preferably one that has some sort of flower 3) perhaps a spreading carpet rose of some sort.. Also.. one last doozy.. it has to be deer proof. Any ideas?
katsarecool
Posted: Jun/01/2006 2:15 PM PST

I swear by vinca major. It is very drought tolerant. It has pretty lavendar flowers about one inch in diameter. It spreads like crazy but very trainable. I mean if a wayward piece finds itself in your flower bed; dig it up and put it back where it belongs. It survives the winters here in Zone 7 just fine. Might want to check about this in your area.

I started out with three sprigs four years ago and now there is a carpet of it hanging over an unsightly brick wall onto the strip ot lawn (about 75 feet long) along the edge of the street. That is as far as it grows with the cars whizzing by. LOL I have the varigated leaves. Oh it blloms for a good six weeks in late April into May here.

Attachments:

Briarwoods photos
Posted: Jun/01/2006 3:39 PM PST

Vincas are great. Other names they are called include periwinkle and myrtle. They stay pretty green in the winter here in Fairfield County, CT so since we are almost neighbors, they would be great for you. They are deer resistant and do wonderful on slopes.
Wildie
Posted: Jun/01/2006 6:24 PM PST

Creeping Thyme, both the regular or the wooly, They are tolerant to being walked on and they are drought tolerant. The only upkeep is after blooming you take your lawn mower over it!
crabbergirl
Posted: Jun/13/2006 9:08 AM PST

How about purselane? It grows wild here in hot dry sunny or shade dry dought conditions
treeman blog photos
Posted: Jun/13/2006 9:18 AM PST

A number of the sedums are good ground covers.... the unbiqitus 'Dragon's Blood' is one. Sedum alba is another.... as its name indicates it blooms white. My favorite is S. Kamschaticum, handsome dark green foliage. There is also a yellow bloomer whose name escapes me at the moment.
CtRich
Posted: Jun/14/2006 2:12 AM PST

Crown Vetch is very nice
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account