Page 1 of 2[12 Last

Whats the best weed killer?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
ChristaCarol13
Posted: May/01/2006 4:50 AM PST

Ok, we have a fairly new lawn (about 3 1/2 years old). The main problem is our back yard. Our front yard now only has johnson grass on the corner. It comes back EVERY year no matter what we put on it. Our back yard is a whole other sotry. Weeds of all kinds, all over the place. Mainly because of neglect (busy life...I know, no excuse). The thing is, for my bday I wanted to landscape and stuff. So its an on going project. I planted two apple trees in the backyard and now realized I need to find a way to kill these weeds, and not harm my trees >

I tend to be impulsive, so it is completely my fault lol...what is the best kind of weed killer, that won't kill my trees or make the harvest bad? My neighbor gets hers treated by someone but we can't really afford that what with a new baby and spouse trying to finish college. TIA! :broccoli:
Briarwoods photos
Posted: May/01/2006 11:17 AM PST

I can only suggest getting your lawn healthy so it can choke out the weeds on its own.
Herbyann
Posted: May/01/2006 1:39 PM PST

LOL I haven't heard of Johnson Grass in ages!! I was raised in West Texas on a ranch and we had a little farm land in the front. We fought it all the time we were there. I'm not sure it can be killed! LOL We chopped it mostly trying to dig it out. Daddy poured Coaloil on it gasoline and every foul thing he could come up with. It still came back. Maybe you should check with the Texas Agraculture people and see if they have come up with any new treatments in the last fourty years or so. lol Good Luck!!
Gardengoddess photos
Posted: May/01/2006 8:02 PM PST

Johnson grass? Is that anything like crabgrass?

Dora/Garden Goddess
Whitmore1
Posted: May/02/2006 1:03 AM PST

Use a weed killer for lawns. There are many products out there and they won't hurt your new trees. Don't use Roundup.
Herbyann
Posted: May/02/2006 1:36 AM PST

WHIT, Why not use round up??
MarieKrause
Posted: May/02/2006 1:41 AM PST

Hi Christa, I had the same problem when I first moved back to the old homeplace. I just googled johnson grass, and they suggested just about what I did. Keep the grass mowed down very constantly,,,,,never letting it go to seed and dig it out. I spent all my spare time out in this yard with a sharpshooter and got a tremendous amount of it dug out until I broke out with poison ivy. I finally gave it up and started mowing constantly.I still have some but it's just in patches around the yard now and we mow before it has time to seed. I got rid of grass burrs the same way. I also pour boiling water on some cantankerous weeds that I can't keep dug out anymore but I'm not sure that'll work on Johnson grass here in TX since it's native.Don't put it in your compost when you cut it if it has seeds or you'll have it coming up in your flower beds and garden too. Marie K
Herbyann
Posted: May/02/2006 1:48 AM PST

Like I said "I don't think ye can kill Johnson Grass". LOL LOL
treeman blog photos
Posted: May/02/2006 3:31 AM PST

Round-up is a broad spectrum herbicide, killing or affecting most plants if it comes into contact with leaves or green stems. Using round up in the lawn will kill any fo the desirable grasses you want to keep. In general, 2-4-D products will kill broadleaf weeds with out affecting the grasses if used in accordance with the lable. Be careful that the formulation you use doesn't have other activves mixed with it. Mixing hebicides for broader spectrum control is a common trick. read the label.

I am inclined to agree with Briarwood. I would first focus on improving the lot of the grass. healthy grass plants will often out compete many weeds. Fertilize the lawn in the fall and maybe again in early spring. Skip the ultra-high nitogen analysis ferts like Scottts and look for something with about a 2:1:1 ratio of Nitrogen to Phosperous and Potassium. Water when dry. If your soil is compacted from construction, aerate. Good aerators that remove plugs of soil are avaialbe for rent at most rentall places.
Briarwoods photos
Posted: May/02/2006 10:48 AM PST

A friend of mine works for an organic lawn care company and he is nice enough to spread nitrogen type fertilizer for me. I have an almost weed free front lawn and thats all that was done.
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account