Page 1 of 1[1]

Best shrubs for full shade area?

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
rickytz7111
Posted: Apr/22/2006 12:50 PM PST

Can anyone tell me the best shrub to plant in a full shade area. I was looking at Dwark Evonymus or Compact Japanese Holly. I don't know if these would be good choices or not. Thanks for any replys.
Briarwoods photos
Posted: Apr/22/2006 1:16 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by rickytz7111
Can anyone tell me the best shrub to plant in a full shade area. I was looking at Dwark Evonymus or Compact Japanese Holly. I don't know if these would be good choices or not. Thanks for any replys.

This is what I found.

"Shrubs that will tolerate shade: Azaleas, Boxwood, Clethra, Fothergilla, Hydrangea, Witchhazel, Holly, Itea, Kerria, Rhododendron, and Yews."
treeman blog photos
Posted: Apr/22/2006 11:51 PM PST

Not a bad list.... Watch out on hydrangeas.... some do pretty well in shade and otheres would really like to have a little sun. Clethera is one of my favorites... bees love it, and it will tloerate shade to full sun... very versatile. Not sure on its hardiness in your zone. Check the hardiness on the Kerria too.
rickytz7111
Posted: Apr/23/2006 5:58 AM PST

Thanks for the list. We went looking today at some shrubs. I think we are going to go with a compacta holly, loropetalum, gardenia and some hostas. What do you think about that combo? I really watched the sun on that area today and we get about 2 hours of sunlight first thing in thr morning and probably 1 in early evening. Thanks for the help.
KentuckyLady
Posted: Apr/23/2006 7:29 PM PST

And there you all go totally ignoring one of the most beautiful shrubs there is for the shade-
Pieris japonica 'Mountain Flame' .
Reaches 6' by 4' thereabouts- fragrant sweet smelling lily of th evalley type blooms in Spring, followed through out the season with bright red new growth-
and evergreen no less !!!!
Annabelle Hydrangea as well as Nikko blue would do well with that shade- as well as a uniques small shrub, Leucothoe 'Girard's rainbow'.

Your choices do sound lovely.I am so jealous you can grow the lorepetalum.I so love that one.
Can gardenia take so little sun and thrive though? I always thought of it as more sun than shade.
rickytz7111
Posted: Apr/23/2006 11:13 PM PST

Do you guys think that a gardenia would hold up sell in the shade? I'm very new to this and I have to read all the labels on the plants and shrubs. I thought the gardenia said it could handle sun or shade. Thanks again for all the great info.
KentuckyLady
Posted: Apr/25/2006 1:05 AM PST

A lot of time when they say sun or shade what they mean is some sun with afternoon shade or vice versa.
Gardenia would need a minimum of 6 hours sunlight in order to get the blooms as do the majority of sun perennials and vines.
Just because they label a plant as being able to live in the shade doesn't mean it will thrive or bloom.
Kale
Posted: Nov/15/2006 2:11 PM PST

Thank You for this thread!
Anyones help will be helpful!!!
I just decided to use a past "storage spot" for shade plants, Id say it is pretty much shade, not sure if the sun shines there at all (ok maybe for a second in the evening during summer (from the west) due to the location of the trees behind me and the garages. It is located on the immediate North of my garage. Less then 2 1/2 feet wide and 23 feet long.
I now have my Hostas there (still in containers) and was looking into the Hamamelis Virginiana Witchhazel.

I will have to research the others that were listed here
I am (more or less ) new at trees and shrubs and shade planting.

Now heres the kicker!!!

I can not get down into the soil so Im building it up .I have tons of lava rock there and can not get my shovel down in to the dirt, not sure how deep the lava rock go, just know I will have to build it up ,cant build too high because I dont want to rot my garage wood.and there is a fence there on opposite side I dont want to soil up the neighbors grass*LOL

So tell me do you think the Hamamelis Virginiana Witchhazel work (above ground level ) do you suppose it will be happy there ?
Keep in mind rainwater will water that whole side, I do not have gutters there. (About 100 gallons from spring time till Oct)

Thank YOU !

Kale
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account