Page 1 of 2[12 Last

How do daffodils spread?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
hennagaijin
Posted: Apr/16/2006 11:36 AM PST

I think I understand the basic method by which bulbs divide and propagate themselves. However I've recently experienced some daffodils spreading to parts of my lawn where they never existed before. How does that happen? Is a squirrel moving the bulb when its dormant or something?? I'm a bit baffled, and it has me nervous about planting any more (which I'd like to do) since I'm afraid they'll take over areas where they're not supposed to be.

Many thanks for any insight.
swindyi
Posted: Apr/16/2006 11:46 AM PST

It has to be the squirrels relocating the bulb as they won't travel by themselves . If you find a bulb growing where you don't want it to be then just dig it up and relocate it to another area. But don't stop planting them as they are among the first flowers to greet the spring.
swindyi
sashweezy
Posted: Apr/16/2006 12:31 PM PST

I have a crocus this year that came up at the base of a shrub. I know for sure I never planted it there. I have also found a Narcussus up in my bush area at the back but the best thing about that one was it must have been stolen from one of the neighbour's yards. I just dug it up and planted it where I wanted it. Nothing like getting a freebie.
Kozykitten
Posted: Apr/16/2006 6:25 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron
Squirrels are notorious for stealing bulbs!
They sit and watch you plant them and the next morning some of the bulbs are gone!
Crocuses are the easier of the bulbs to steal since they are planted just a few inches down (around 2" deep)!
If your tulips and daffs are moved then it means you didn't plant them deep enough...6"-8" is the recommended depth. Remember that the larger the bulb the deeper you plant them to a max of 8"!

I wonder what is up with my daffs? They were scattered all over the yard when I moved here, but only a couple (literally only about 3-4) would bloom. I started in digging them up (I mean they were really really scattered all over the yard) and they were all 6-8 inches deep. When I dug them up there were alot of big bulbs and of course quite a few small ones. When I replanted I went about 3 inches deep and the next year I had masses of blooms. Does it make a difference if your ground is really rocky clay ground on the planting depth? I planted them 3 inches then later read that it should be 6-8. I wondered after I read that why they weren't blooming before, but then of course it slipped my mind until you said that.
Briarwoods photos
Posted: Apr/16/2006 8:33 PM PST

I have oodles of daffys and the squirrels dont touch them. Some creature however stole my tulips....I think the hoof prints once again gave it away.
cantate7
Posted: Apr/17/2006 3:15 AM PST

Hennagaijin,

are you living in Japan? Or did someone give you that name elsewhere?

Cantate in Tokyo (zone 8-9 in case you are wondering)
hennagaijin
Posted: Apr/17/2006 11:45 AM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by cantate7

are you living in Japan? Or did someone give you that name elsewhere?

Nope, I live in NJ. Long story how I got the name (ask "ScooterInJapan"), but basically it comes from a running joke I had with some Japanese colleagues I was working with a few years ago in Tokyo.
cantate7
Posted: Apr/18/2006 5:14 AM PST

"Hen" means "strange, unusual" in Japanese. Here's a bilingual joke we like:

Q: What do you say when a rooster lays an egg?
A: Sore wa hen desu. (That's "hen".)

Cantate:strawberr
cantate7
Posted: Apr/17/2006 9:32 PM PST

Scooter got to me before you did.
Glad you're on GG anyway.

Cantate
IR2agardner
Posted: Apr/17/2006 9:52 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by hennagaijin
Nope, I live in NJ. Long story how I got the name (ask "ScooterInJapan"), but basically it comes from a running joke I had with some Japanese colleagues I was working with a few years ago in Tokyo.

Does it have something to do with Red Hair (Henna?)
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account