Page 1 of 2[12 Last

Woohoo!!!! Japanese Maple

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Kozykitten
Posted: Apr/17/2006 5:54 PM PST

My husband has been dying to get ahold of a Japanese maple. We just really couldnt justify buying one at the gardening centers around here since most want $60 per tree. We have had really bad luck with having trees shipped to us (except for a Colorado Blue Spruce that I got for free from a survey--go figure). Anyway this week is my husbands last week at his job, after this he goes to full contract with working on computers. His coworkers always take people out to lunch when they are quitting or if it is their birthday. Well they decided to do the lunch for DH today and before they all left to go, they presented him with a 4 foot Japanese Maple!!!! He loves and wants several varieties of them. I think the one they got for him is the bloodgood. He keeps calling me and asking if we have this or that so that he can finish planning the garden area that it is going in LOL. He is like a kid at christmas.
IR2agardner
Posted: Apr/17/2006 8:07 PM PST

I love them too! Around here I've seen them for $125.00 and that's at Home Depot.
MamaBearBSA photos
Posted: Apr/20/2006 3:08 PM PST

I got seeds last fall from SpringGlory for a red Japanese Maple and have two strong saplings going. WOOHOO.
Kozykitten
Posted: Apr/20/2006 3:23 PM PST

I got seeds from someone last fall, but I think I put them on the counter and either my kids threw them away or they got knocked off into the trash can because I never found them again. I learned my lesson though and now anytime I buy or receive seeds they go directly to my seed can so nothing can happen to them. I have been on the lookout for Japanese maples when I am out driving so that I can possibly go back and ask the people who owns them if I can get seed when it is time. I haven't really seen any yet
sweetlebee blog photos
Posted: Apr/20/2006 3:33 PM PST

I wanted to respond to this a few days ago, but I'd gotten bumped off of GG after updating my email addy!

I'm glad to hear your husband finally got his maple! My neighborhood has dozens of 'Bloodgood' Japanese maples. I really like their size and form. We have small yards out here in the west, and people have them planted right on their fence lines or in their front yards and they look great! They're also fast growers. My neighbors planted one between our front porches last spring and it has over a foot of new growth already. At that rate, I think they'll have to move it in a few more years when it outgrows its spot and steals the sun from my lilac!
sweetlebee blog photos
Posted: Apr/20/2006 3:39 PM PST

Just took a peek at their maple and there aren't any seeds on it. When do they seed? Do all varieties seed? I have seen seeds on a gorgeous green maple in my neighborhood. I'll have to see if I can get seeds from it!
Kozykitten
Posted: Apr/20/2006 4:04 PM PST

They usually seed in late summer/early fall. If you could get some later in the year, I would love to get some from you. Hubby loves all the different one (I personally love the look of the laceleaf LOL) and he eventually wants to try his hand at grafting them.
sashweezy
Posted: Apr/20/2006 8:14 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by sweetlebee
Just took a peek at their maple and there aren't any seeds on it. When do they seed? Do all varieties seed? I have seen seeds on a gorgeous green maple in my neighborhood. I'll have to see if I can get seeds from it!

Are you talking large maple tree? If so I can get hundreds of seeds. My neighbour has one that spits it's leaves my way in fall and it's 'helicopter' seeds all over my roof, deck, lawn, walkway etc. Actually it's in full bloom right now so the leaves and seeds will not be long in following. The Chipmonks gather from miles around to eat the seeds.
sweetlebee blog photos
Posted: Apr/20/2006 8:52 PM PST

A medium size Japanese maple, Sash.
sashweezy
Posted: Apr/20/2006 8:56 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by sweetlebee
A medium size Japanese maple, Sash.

Too bad as I could have sent seeds galore. This one is at least 30 years old and a great producer. It would be nice on a rural property. It's a good shade tree for them though in the height of summer. I thought you were probably talking about a smaller tree.
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account