• All
  • Articles
  • Videos
  • Plants
Bookmark and Share

Page 1 of 1[1]

How do you start a rose bush from clipping?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
OliviaDiana
Posted: Apr/06/2006 4:26 AM PST

I have a problem. My neighbor that has a rose bush over thirty years old. In a storm last night a large branch broke off. I love the rose bush, it is beautiful and smells out of this world. He told me to take it and try grow my own. I have palced it in a bucket of water with a touch baking soda and syrup? How or what can I do to get roots so I can plant? Thanks so much. I have it on my sun porch so it is in direct sunlight. I tried before by dipping in a root start but no success after put in ground it died.
Jewel
Posted: Apr/06/2006 11:08 AM PST

I've never heard of baking soda and syrup but I know that you should remove the bottom leaves and put the bare stems in water. They should develope roots in a few weeks. This would even be a great time to make multi rosebushes just by splitting the bush into separate parts and rooting them. Good luck to you.I hope it works out.
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: Apr/06/2006 12:20 PM PST

You might try grafting a branch or two onto a wild rose root or another rose you have. A lot of times a domestic rose will be grafted onto a hardier plant's rootstock.
I learned that when I had a Cecil Brunner decide to grow a couple 6 feet long shoots. I just let them grow to see what would happen. I was clueless, but fascinated. It turned out to be a red climber which bloomed in the early summer and then the shorter stems from the base bloomed the Cecil B's. I researched what had happened and found out about the rootstocks.

I'm not sure if you'd be able to do it with your plant, but a friend of mine would scrape a bit of the stem away from a good shoot still attached to the parent plant, put rooting hormone on it, and cover it with soil. A couple sticks crisscrossed over it to hold it in the ground or pot. They'd root that way.
Spider_Lily photos
Posted: Apr/06/2006 9:38 PM PST

I put cuttings in a large pot and put soil in it and the cuttings take all the leaves off but 2 take a pencil or stick make hole and stick them in about 2-3 inches and keep them watered and they root fine
antiquelady photos
Posted: Apr/10/2006 10:20 PM PST

Someone told me to put the clipping in a potato and plant that. Has any one tried that? I want to start roses from my boyfriends mom that came from his grandmothers house. I never have had luck starting anything before.
Billl1
Posted: Apr/15/2006 12:56 PM PST

HI : try this link for propagating rose cuttings.

[URL="http://home.houston.rr.com/galveston05swap/P ropagating_Rose_Cuttings.htm"]http://home.houston. rr.com/galveston05swap/Propagating_Rose_Cuttings.h tm[/URL]

Bill
Hoeandhope blog photos
Posted: Apr/15/2006 1:09 PM PST

Bill1, Will it be true to the plant if the rose is a hybrid? I have never tried to root roses but might since I read the link you posted
JuliaAM
Posted: May/12/2006 4:40 PM PST

Thanks for posting this topic. Just yesterday afternoon I noticed a branch broken off from one of my new roses. I don't know how that happened because no other branches from nearby roses were broken. It's just a spindly little thing and was quite wilted. The broken end looked dried out so it must have been broken at least a day.

After reading info on this board, I removed leaves from the bottom of the branch, split the stem about 1.5" with a sharp knife and stuck it in water. It was so wilted I didn't think it would live. But this morning, the whole branch was perked up! I'll be so excited if I can make a whole new rose bush just from a cutting. Of course there are no roots yet but how long should the roots be before I plant it in soil? Another thread mentioned banana peel water is good. Should I make some banana peel water to put in the vase with the cutting?

Julia
Davlyn
Posted: May/13/2006 12:48 AM PST

This is good info.. I have given away many cutting from an old rose bush I had here when I moved in. Mine had died a couple of yrs ago and I am hoping some one I gave the plant to will be willing to give me a piece back to start anew.
I saw & read yr.s .. yrs. ago.. to make a splice in the wood / stem and take soil put it in plastic( wet ) and then wrap that around the splice and roots should grow. Then you can break off from the mother plant and have your new plant.. Has anyone else ever read that ...??? .... And that was not for just roses...
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account