Little Water Garden Problem

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Davlyn
Posted: Apr/03/2006 12:02 PM PST

In my 8x8x12 pond.. I add water when the level goes down and just to refresh it at times . I use the tablets for the plants. My filter doesn't seem to beable to keep up with what I get. I got a larger one last yr. & was also using the pump with the foam end as well. So had 2 going.
Can is use the algae eater fish from the pet store ? Should I refresh the water more oftern ?
MamaBearBSA photos
Posted: Apr/03/2006 6:26 PM PST

As to the algea eating fish from the pet store, yes. You may have to bring them in for the winter (into an aquarium) or buy new ones each spring as I don't know how cold they can get. I know gold fish will survive a cattles water trough when the to 12 inches freezes but as for a picostimus or something else, I am not sure.
treeman blog photos
Posted: Apr/04/2006 2:13 AM PST

Linda... the key is actually removing some water in that you also remove some of the excess nutrients with it. Then the new water should be nutrient free. The idea is dilution.
hotgardener
Posted: Apr/06/2006 11:19 AM PST

Try getting some straw and put that into a nylon holey bag with a stone in it and allow that to do it's thing. As the straw decomposes, it releases an enzyme which breaks down the cell walls of filamentous algae!
Davlyn
Posted: Apr/06/2006 11:23 AM PST

Ok, Like a barley ball ? I have seen being sold ...

I bring my fish in side in the winter, The pond is only 10 >12 in" deep . So it freezes almost right down there. I found dead baby fish That I have missed before. I'll get some more fish and look for snails also. Thanks. Hope this works this yr.
hotgardener
Posted: Apr/06/2006 12:22 PM PST

Yup the barleyball would be the thing.
I have seen in SOuth Africa, they are selling a barley extract now that you can put into your pond. Do a Google and see if you can find it in your nect of the woods.
ruokdel
Posted: Apr/06/2006 3:37 PM PST

water lilies like quiet water to bloom..and dipping out some water is a good idea....I use the tablets for potted plants underwater too....just be sure to put some more soil or gravel or something on top of it..(suggestion..wear plastic gloves to do it, I use cheapest surg. gloves from WM...the pot dirt is like black tar under your fingernails) ordinary bait goldfish survive over our winters in zone 5 in 12" deep pools...........If they die they are inexpensiveto replace, but I rarely lose any..they need something at the bottom to hibernate in, I think..theres usually enough dirt and sand or space under pots)
Davlyn
Posted: Apr/06/2006 10:57 PM PST

Ok , thanks...

I usually get some leaves & stuff they end up in the pond along with all that algae, but the frogs never make it. I always find a few poor dead frogs. Makes me feel bad. I hate to take a chance with my fish. I used to catch them & put them in the small pond in the pasture, It's small , but a mud bottm, so figured they had a chance. But the 2 / 3 had survided the attcak of the pollywogs/ tad poles one yr. so felt they needed to be safe from now on. I lost 1 of them last yr at the age of 5.. and one last month . age 6. and I have one left, big boy.. So I will get some more soon for the summer...
Maribeth
Posted: Apr/06/2006 11:40 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by hotgardener
Try getting some straw and put that into a nylon holey bag with a stone in it and allow that to do it's thing. As the straw decomposes, it releases an enzyme which breaks down the cell walls of filamentous algae!

We do that for our pond, and works great!......now....have to keep my eye open for the extact.........
ruokdel
Posted: Apr/07/2006 1:32 AM PST

I wonder if thats a clue,...mud bottom..........perhaps the algae comes from runoff animal waste or fertilizer? How big is your pond?...maybe the answer would be to get one of the plastic pre-formed pools and put it elsewhere, so dirt doesn't wash in during heavy rain........... or a galvanized stock pool..they come in assorted sizes and can be buried or left above ground..they both work fine..refill them with a hose when the water evaporates in summer.........Del
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account