Bookmark and Share

Page 1 of 2[12 Last

fence from tree limbs

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
FlosGarden
Posted: Apr/19/2006 12:41 PM PST

Every spring, we end up with a pile of tree limbs that came down during the winter. I always chop them up and put them out with the trash. Butu I was thinking, maybe I could use them and construct a rustic fence to enclose my mulch pile. Has anyone ever built a fence from limbs ? Or does anyone know of a site I could puruse ? Thanks.
Kristine
Posted: May/09/2006 3:35 PM PST

Here's an example (scroll down): http://www.yougrowgirl.com/journals/gayla/00018 9.php
Kozykitten
Posted: May/09/2006 3:48 PM PST

That is quite interesting, and looks like something I could do myself since hubby doesn't exactly have spare time on his hands.
cazimere photos
Posted: May/09/2006 6:56 PM PST

Koz, there is a little village down the road that is built to look like a circa 1800 village. Has arts and crafts shops, blacksmiths and things like that. They built a zig zag fence out of tree branches on the perimeter of the property. Looks neat. Here is a pic of one like it. http://www.usrhistoricalsociety.org/S_fence.JPG The one down the road has a large stone on the ground at each intersection of fence to keep the first rails off the ground.
Kozykitten
Posted: May/09/2006 8:01 PM PST

Those are such interesting fences. I always thought they were pretty. A friend of mine had one way back on her property where there used to be an old homestead, but it was really rotted and some of it had fallen down and broke in different places.
Kozykitten
Posted: Jun/25/2006 9:27 PM PST

Hmmm does anyone think it would work at all to make one of the limb fences out of grapvine? Would it be too limber? Just curious since we have alllllllllllllll kinds of wild grape vine out here on our place. There are some that have two - three inch diameter bases on them and hubby want them to come down. They are taking over trees out in the fields. Was thinking about trying a short fence around my new flowerbed I put in this spring. Hubby's dog refuses to stay out of it and I would rather try a limb fence than the decorative fencing you buy. I'm about to just throw grass seed back out there and make a full sun bed so the darn dog will stay out of it LOL>
scarezimof blog photos
Posted: Jun/25/2006 10:07 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by Kozykitten
Hmmm does anyone think it would work at all to make one of the limb fences out of grapvine? Would it be too limber?

Oh Kozy, puleeeeze share some of your grapevine limbs!!! I found this picture eons ago and want to try to make one so much...but alas, no grapevines to be had. Thus, I will share it with you. Obviously this is for making a trellis, but I know you can modify the idea to make your fence, and it will look AWESOME!! (HOPE the pictures comes out big enough on here) First pic is a line drawing, then the second pic is the real deal.

Attachments:

Kozykitten
Posted: Jun/26/2006 12:29 AM PST

Wow! That is nice. I think I know where my next few trellis setups will come from

Wonder if it would cost much to ship grapevine? Goodness knows I have enough of the stuff. Hubby and I happened to be out in the field one day and noticed an odd looking tree. Didnt see the vines going up at first because other trees were in the way. Got to looking around and just in a 20 foot area right there, there were about 10-15 vines crawling up the trees. I haven't went out looking on the rest of our 30 acres (I don't tend to go out alone back in the woods since we have spotted mountain lions within a couple miles of our house), but I know as many grape vines as I noticed at different points in time that there is alot more than I would need for anything I wanted to do LOL.
GardenBear
Posted: Jun/26/2006 2:56 AM PST

here what I'v done with a few twigs there held together with zip ties

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Garden Bear
[URL="http://www.littlebossbear.com"]http://www.li ttlebossbear.com[/URL]

Attachments:

Kozykitten
Posted: Jun/26/2006 3:00 AM PST

Those look cool too Bear!! Good thing I have you guys around to give me ideas-----my imagination is lacking and must be kickstarted by others LOL
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account