Nuts shells in compost pile

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Gardengoddess photos
Posted: Mar/07/2006 8:42 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Belle
Eggshells are alkaline. The calcium carbonate in eggshells raises the pH (the higher the pH, the more alkaline the soil). Coffee grounds are acidic.

Well there it is. Maybe it's because there is so much more coffee than eggshells when I spread? Of couse at this point the garden had been so neglected by the previous owners that anything is an improvement.

Dora/Garden Goddess
Kale
Posted: Mar/07/2006 7:28 PM PST

We use one to two dozen of egg per week the pup gets the yokes of some and the compost pile and toms get the rest chopped finely in the composting blender *
Wish we could absorb those shell my bones and teeth would be a strong as when I was 25! I was using eggshell tooth past for a while (cost too much *LOL) it sure gave me pearly white teeth.

Kale
Mainegal
Posted: Mar/03/2006 8:18 PM PST

Can you put peanut, walnut, almond, pecan shells in the compost pile? I know it will take some time to compost. I know Crabbergirl puts crab, and other seafood in hers and they are hard shells too.
Herbyann
Posted: Mar/03/2006 9:03 PM PST

Sure Ye can!! It will take a while to decompose. When I'm harvesting my compost pile I jus throw anything not composted back in the pile. It will get there eventully. Ye could take a mallet and smash them a bit first and then put them in. Or jus throw them in as is/ good luck Laurie.
vegemm photos
Posted: Mar/03/2006 10:15 PM PST

peanuts are great...we use to get HUGE boxes of them at the CO-Op in Oregon and put them in the compost and the red stuff is great to just till in the dirt...you can smash them up it helps to break them down...if you are talking a small amount a nice pounding in a bag with a hammer works well...I also smash up my egg shells...in a mortar..
Gardengoddess photos
Posted: Mar/03/2006 10:20 PM PST

Vegemm,

Your comment about Oregon reminded me that one of the latest things here now is to use hazelnut shells as mulch. It's suppose to last longer that barkdust but it's really expensive.

Dora/Garden Goddess
vegemm photos
Posted: Mar/05/2006 4:26 AM PST

Dora...Someone eles was just telling me about this last week...but the cost was really high as you said...
Gardengoddess photos
Posted: Mar/05/2006 3:26 PM PST

Which is kind of silly when you consider the shells are a waste product. You'd think they'd be giving them away.

Dora/Garden Goddess
Kale
Posted: Mar/05/2006 4:07 PM PST

I put peanut shells and pastachio (sp?) shells the latter is still there years later the peanuts took a yr or better to decompose. I use the latter for houseplants on the bottom for drainage when I dont have pebbles , also for the top to keep moisture in. Those shells are still looking like I put them there today.

Kale
sweetlebee blog photos
Posted: Mar/05/2006 6:38 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by vegemm
peanuts are great...we use to get HUGE boxes of them at the CO-Op in Oregon and put them in the compost and the red stuff is great to just till in the dirt...you can smash them up it helps to break them down...if you are talking a small amount a nice pounding in a bag with a hammer works well...I also smash up my egg shells...in a mortar..

Egg shells.....been wondering about them! Someone in the family eats eggs every day and I'm wondering if that's too many shells in the compost. What do they add to the soil?
Page 1 of 3[123 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account