Page 1 of 2[12 Last

Getting red potatoes to sprout...

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
IronKnees photos
Posted: Feb/15/2006 9:05 PM PST

For years now I've used store bought potatoes as my seed potatoes for my garden... Usually during the winter, I set aside good quality potatoes that are starting to sprout and just before planting, I cut them and dust the cut end with Captan (spelling?) fungicide... It helps heal up and dry the cut and I've had outstanding results for years and often win first or second place at the county fair..

Here is my question... Last year I tried red potatoes and didn't get many to sprout after planting... Out of 15 whole, small red potatoes only 3 came up... The funny part was that mine took first place at the fair though... Is there anything I can do to the red potatoes I have right now to force them to start sending up sprouts... At the moment, I have them stored in the root cellar, in the dark, and in a cool spot... Actually a real root cellar, as our home is an old farmhouse that my wife and I bought and have remodeled over the years... Thanks in advance... Dave

Attachments:

IronKnees photos
Posted: Feb/15/2006 10:34 PM PST

Okay Ron... Thanks a bunch... Looks like I have them in exactly the wrong conditions.... I'll move them to where my peppers are germinating as we speak... Thanks again... Dave
CMRsGarden
Posted: Feb/16/2006 2:48 PM PST

OK, I have a potato question (sorry to hijack your thread IK!). I grew red potatoes last year (well, they were planted by the previous owner). They never got really big due to the dry year and potato beetle. So, they are bigger then "new" potatoes, but smaller then a decent sized tater. I had a bunch in the basement that I never got aroudn to eating. They have FANTASTIC sprouts on them now... Warm basement, not a lot of light, but they dont seem to care. I was goign to chuck them in my compost pile... BUT, can I use them as my seed potatoes next year? I guess I was thinking that since they never go to full sized taters they couldnt be used as seed.

Also, some of them have a good 3-4 inches of shoot on them, are they still ok to plant like that (and they will be much taller come planting season). Should I break those long stalks off?

Also, I'm sure I was told supermarket potatoes don't make good seed potatoes because they are treated to NOT sprout.....
Hoeandhope blog photos
Posted: Feb/16/2006 3:01 PM PST

I don't see why you couldn't use them if they are already sprouting. I planted red potatoes last year but got them from a feed and seed store. I have some that grew left over and thought I might try to get them to grow this year. Maybe someone else knows better why you shouldn't plant them.
CMRsGarden
Posted: Feb/16/2006 3:49 PM PST

Oh, my potatoes are from seed potatoes that were planted last year. Just didn't know if they may be too small to use and get a good potato crop (you always hear use the biggest and best as planting seeds for stuff).

I was just commenting on the store bought potatoes, as another thought..... lol... My brain tends to run all over the map, sorry! I guess I was going back to IK's comment about using store bought taters.... I'd heard they don't work, but apparently they do! Well, maybe not with red potatoes....
CMRsGarden
Posted: Feb/16/2006 7:17 PM PST

Very interesting, thanks for clearing that up Ron. I always wondered how true that is, seeing as I can always get grocery store taters to sprout (sometimes I JUST cant eat em fast enough!!). Thought it was just my *magical* touch! :P
Kale
Posted: Feb/16/2006 9:52 PM PST

Ok here is what I did and results.
I store my potatoes (Michigan or Idaho) in a storage box, the ones on the bottom see no light for certain and sprout.When I realize I have sprouts I keep them there until I have time to plant them.
I then take them and cut the eyes off with the sprout of course and plant them. I have had not much luck with them on my big box that I used strictly hay in. (Im thinking because I watered too fast and the hay didnt have enough time to absorb the water) I added hay as the plant grew. Result not to write about.Although I was thrilled!*lol
I also planted some for the fun of it in soil, got nothing till the following year ( in one case).In May of 2004 I planted taters got my tiller jan of 2005 and went to till in April 2005 I then thought to leave it because I planted taters I went thru 2005 season went to till againLate Oct 2005 after I took my tom plants out to compost and remebered, got curious, then is when I found over 15 potatoes! I was so thrilled and surprised!

Now for the reds..
Michigan reds... I planted them in the hay in thier own little section,they grew leaves then died.Not certain if It was because of my fast watering or not.I havent gotten reds to sprout (dont buy them too often and when we do have them they are eated too fast) Someone cant help himself*lol
I planted most of them in or around May or June.
The ones that did produce were planted only in composted grounds, and got watered with the tomatoes,I harvested them the following year in in about late october after I pulled my toms out to till .

Here are the taters I found! Best tasting little taters I have ever tasted in my life! Not much but a start *LOL!!

Kale :carrot:

Attachments:

IronKnees photos
Posted: Mar/17/2006 8:23 PM PST

CMR... Absolutely yes... Those will work fine for seeding...

Now another question for someone... I have done as told early in this thread and have my red potatoes in a warm sunny window... and they are starting to sprout nicely... However, I don't have enough potatoes to plant whole and fill in my row.... (I've always just planted potatoes whole that I cull out of our store bought potatoes when they start sprouting and keep them till planting time, use my Troy-Bilt with the furrow attachment, and plant them whole...

When sould I "cut" the reds to get them ready... I plan to use Captan powder fungicide on the cut end like I do all cutting of what ever, but I don't know if I should cut them now (at least a month before planting) or to wait till it's time to plant them... Thanks in advance... Dave
IronKnees photos
Posted: Mar/17/2006 9:00 PM PST

Just for fun, here is a picture of a few things I entered in the county fair last year... Of the three red potato plants that did come up, I managed to take first place with them... go figure...

Attachments:

Ronald-Bee
Posted: Mar/17/2012 5:40 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by IronKnees
For years now I've used store bought potatoes as my seed potatoes for my garden... Usually during the winter, I set aside good quality potatoes that are starting to sprout and just before planting, I cut them and dust the cut end with Captan (spelling?) fungicide... It helps heal up and dry the cut and I've had outstanding results for years and often win first or second place at the county fair.. Here is my question... Last year I tried red potatoes and didn't get many to sprout after planting... Out of 15 whole, small red potatoes only 3 came up... The funny part was that mine took first place at the fair though... Is there anything I can do to the red potatoes I have right now to force them to start sending up sprouts... At the moment, I have them stored in the root cellar, in the dark, and in a cool spot... Actually a real root cellar, as our home is an old farmhouse that my wife and I bought and have remodeled over the years... Thanks in advance... Dave
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account