Page 1 of 3[123 Last

My garlic :(

Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
CMRsGarden
Posted: Feb/13/2006 8:49 PM PST

Well, for those of you in Ontario, you know all about the strange, springlike weather we had for the majority of January. For the first time in my gardening life I planted garlic in the fall like you are supposed to (from garlic that came out of my garden last year - planted by the previous owner). Just before the first real snow, in the fall, you could see a few green sprouts coming up. I assumed this was normal. BUT, in January they started to grow!!! Some of them are about an inch tall with growth ....... Now we are back to snow and cold...... Will my garlic survive?
GrandPoppa
Posted: Feb/13/2006 8:57 PM PST

I doubt that the cold and snow will hurt them. They are pretty hardy.
Daisy
Posted: Feb/13/2006 9:21 PM PST

Someone told me that it will make them sweeter? No idea if that is true or not.
larrystewart photos
Posted: Feb/13/2006 10:02 PM PST

My fathers garlics are about 8 inches high, due to the warm weather, and they have always survived the winter. But what I have noticed in our area (new york) that the warmer winters usually give the garlic more time to grow, and therefore, producing larger bulbs. So, Im looking foward to a nice garlic crop this year.

larry
CMRsGarden
Posted: Feb/14/2006 1:25 AM PST

WHUHOOOO :animorang :broccoli: :carrot: :animorang :broccoli: :carrot: :banana-wa

Sorry, got carried away there! So, I might get bigger, sweeter bulbs. Very cool! And my first year trying garlic. Phew! You guys made me feel a ton better.
Sweetpea
Posted: Feb/14/2006 4:30 AM PST

Can't wait to see how your garlic turns out.. those would be bonuses, wouldn't they?
jbb2388
Posted: Feb/14/2006 3:05 PM PST

Yup, we've had the same unseasonable weather through Jan and the garlic I planted in Oct is about 2" tall, but it looks no worse for the wear.
flowerpower
Posted: Feb/16/2006 4:16 AM PST

We have absolutely no snow on the ground right now. Normally there would be at least 18 inches of snow cover. I see all sorts of things pushing through the ground. Garlic is really hardy- it will be fine.
jennyspray
Posted: Mar/02/2006 10:31 AM PST

How long exactley does it take before you can harvest your garlic?
roystahl
Posted: Mar/03/2006 2:47 AM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by jennyspray
How long exactley does it take before you can harvest your garlic?

Depending on what garlic you have and where you are it varies widely. I start in May with some Asian garlics and finished by the end of June - usually. But then I live in coastal CA.

The BIG trick is the timing. You DON'T want to harvest when x% of the leaves are brown as some suggest. It is better to harvest as it starts to get brown and you still have at 6 green leaves left. This is because underground these are the wrappers that will protect your garlic as it dries. If you wait too long and have only a couple green leaves left, then there isn't much to protect your garlic (unless of course you eat it right away!) But for some storage, you need a some live leaves. You don't want to harvest too early when you have 7-8 leaves because the garlic may not have bulbed up. Most bulbing up happens near the end. When it starts to dry or leaves turn brown stop watering it and let nature finish its work.

Too much information heh?
Page 1 of 3[123 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account