Page 1 of 2[12 Last

Vege. garden setup...thoughts?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
ZZ-kai-
Posted: Jan/30/2006 3:57 PM PST

Currently I have a 3ft x 3ft garden (if you want to call it that!), in which last year, I grew one cherry tomato plant, a chili pepper plant, and a jabenaro plant.

This year, I plan on adding two more 3ft x 3ft sections, kind of L shaped (it would be a 6x6, but just missing the upper left 3x3 section). Here is what I plan on planting.

Quadrant 1: cherry tomato plant
Quadrant 2: chili pepper plant, about a dozen onions
Quadrant 3: cucumber plant

As for cucumbers, I'm going to give it another shot - I tried the year before, and I think I got one pickle off it.

Thoughts? Too much in a little spot? Just right?

Thanks!
larrystewart photos
Posted: Jan/30/2006 8:40 PM PST

Hi,
I dont think its too much for a little spot. I think what you have planned to plant will have plenty of room. In addition, around the tomato plant, you can probably plant a few basil and parsley plants (thats what I do). Also, if you put a pole or something for the cucumber to grow up on, u can probably plant a few cucumber plants around the pole.

I have a raised bed garden, and althought it is relatively large, Because of its boundaries, I have to be creative on what I grow where to maximise the space. So I will plant smaller plants around larger ones to use every square inch I can. Also, I play with the cold and hot weather. I will plant peas, lettuce, spinach and other cooler weather plants early on in the spring, hoping to have eaten them before the second planting.

The only thing u have to consider if crowding an area, would be the quality of the soil, amount of fertilizer (if used) and amount of water. Because, the more plants there are, the more of these things will be used up. Much of what I do is by trial and error. Some seasons I am succesful, and others I am not so fortunate.

Good Luck,

Larry
Herbyann
Posted: Jan/31/2006 1:28 AM PST

Ye should be able to stick a few garlic plants in there too. Basil goes good with the tomatoes. If ye like herbs a few could be tucked in and around esp if ye have the cuke's climb!! Good Luck! :animorang
Kale
Posted: Jan/31/2006 2:08 AM PST

I planted 3 pepper plants in a raised bed that is 2 1/2ft wide by 5ft long..Plenty of room,they grew nicely.Have you thought about container gardening?
There are quite a few veggies that will grow in containers,and if they vine,the better,less dirt space.Just fence them up..You'd be surprised what you can grow in that space.
Have Fun! Oh, You can use hay to retain moisture.

Kale
jbb2388
Posted: Jan/31/2006 2:30 AM PST

Make a trellis for the cukes and go vertical. Frees up a lot of space!
ZZ-kai-
Posted: Jan/31/2006 1:38 PM PST

Those are great ideas, I guess I totally forgot about having the cucs climb. I have some chicken wire and some posts, so it looks like I'll build something and let them climb - maybe I'll put two in (cucs are my favorite). Never though of herbs either, I will probably put some basil and parsley plants in too - I can already see my salsa coming together!

PS, when planting garlic, do I just take a clove from garlic I purchased in the store and plant it, keep it moist? I have done that in the past, but they rotted and didn't do much more than just sprouting green above ground?!!

Thanks!
Herbyann
Posted: Jan/31/2006 11:03 PM PST

Sometimes Garlic and onions are treated so they don't sprout lengthening their shelf life. I get my garlic from the nursery to plant and then save some I grow to plant next year.
I love growing a salsa garden! Homegrown-homemade is so yummy.
RandyCobb
Posted: Feb/01/2006 12:17 AM PST

I use tomato cages for cucumbers. Works fine for me.
Herbyann
Posted: Feb/01/2006 12:22 AM PST

OH BTW ye might have overwatered the garlic. Ye jus kind of put um in the ground and throw a little water their way if it's really dry.
ZZ-kai-
Posted: Feb/09/2006 5:13 PM PST

So it's safe to assume I could plant garlic, in a 'raised' bed sort of situation (so it doesn't get drained with water), as early as possible in the spring, and have full cloves by Fall?

Thanks!
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account