Page 1 of 3[123 Last

Tropical Gardens in Colder zones

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
prettylady
Posted: Jan/23/2006 9:23 AM PST

[quote=peatpod]I would love to know if anyone out there pushes the zone limites like I try to do. Is anyone actually as crazy as I am?? I have tons of tropicals that I drag in and out every year. They are so lovely in the garden and I think worth the extra effort.

I think more than half my garden is in my house over wintering waiting to be replanted. I grow Brugmansias .. (my new passion) .. bananas .. Elephant ears .. cannas .. sago palm .. tropical hibiscus etc. As a result my garden and deck are always lush and green with tons of blooms!! I love it!!!

Laura I too have all home filled with tropicals out of my gardens..fell in love with one lone brugmansia last year and have many new ones from cuttings to do this year. love the bananas....elephant ears, cannas a few varieties...sago and a few other varities of palm and tropical hibiscus...have red and white ginger..
I love the look and feel in the gardens..

Peggy
peatpod
Posted: Jan/23/2006 5:24 AM PST

What kind of brugs do you have?? You must have received cuttings from below the "Y" so they might "Y" this summer. One woman that I know cuts them right back to about a foot .. some of mine that are older I have done that to .. but most I have cut above the "Y" as I really want my blooms to come earlier :o)
Laura
ruokdel
Posted: Jan/23/2006 4:59 AM PST

Mine haven't reached the "Y" stage..just tall gawky stalks about 4 ft..how far would you cut them back?
peatpod
Posted: Jan/23/2006 4:23 AM PST

Ruokdel
I cut my brugs back (make cuttings) and allow them to go dormant for the winter in a cool dark room. Let the leaves fall off .. it wont mean they are dead just sleeping. The exception to this rule appears to be verigated brugs which need to keep going though the winter. I water mine one a month or when the soil comes away from the side of the pot. In the spring I bring them out and they leaf out nicely. If you cut them back above the "Y" they will flower earlier for you.

Laura
ruokdel
Posted: Jan/23/2006 11:40 PM PST

there is a magnificent hardy banana with a bloom that is just knock out exotic...its called....musa lasiocarpa or chinese yellow banana..grows to 6 ft.'..........Thompson and Morgan seed catalog pg 54.........the center looks like an embroidered pinwheel, gold on white and then all the yellow spathes spin out from the center in about 4 layers of pointed petals...
ruokdel
Posted: Jan/23/2006 4:17 AM PST

when I bring my Brugs in for the winter, the leaves get very thin and spindly down in the basement in a south window.....should I keep them on the dry side..will they go dormant?...they are fascinating..
Gardengoddess photos
Posted: Jan/23/2006 11:12 PM PST

Haven't tried it yet but I've been eye-balling some of the hardy tropicals. I'm zone 8 so there are some that I can get away with without too much pampering. I'm from So Cal and I miss the more tropical looking plants.

Do you keep your tropicals in pots or do you put them in the ground and dug them up come frost time?

Dora/Garden Goddess
peatpod
Posted: Jan/23/2006 4:10 AM PST

I would love to know if anyone out there pushes the zone limites like I try to do. Is anyone actually as crazy as I am?? I have tons of tropicals that I drag in and out every year. They are so lovely in the garden and I think worth the extra effort.

I think more than half my garden is in my house over wintering waiting to be replanted. I grow Brugmansias .. (my new passion) .. bananas .. Elephant ears .. cannas .. sago palm .. tropical hibiscus etc. As a result my garden and deck are always lush and green with tons of blooms!! I love it!!!

Image hosting by Photobucket

Brugmansia

Tropicanna Canna

Lantana

Double White Brugmansia

Frosted Pink Brugmansia

Laura
pacificstar photos
Posted: Jan/23/2006 9:22 PM PST

Peatpod,

You do a lovely job with your tropicals. They look better than people who live in that zone. I love your banana's, the varigated one is awesome. Love your look! Hey I have the same canna's!
peatpod
Posted: Jan/24/2006 6:49 AM PST

Most of my tropicals go into the ground but a few stay in pots. So I do alot of digging DH helps with the digging in the fall. I'm sure my neighbours think Im nuts when I go running out with sheets to cover them when I want to see that last flush of blooms before I have to put them to bed.

Ruokdel .. check out www.guildwoodcannas.com for Tropicals that you can pick up fairly cheap in Ontario. I have picking up a few Musa Basjo this spring and will attempt to over winter them outside!! Grant, who owns Guildwood is very knowledgeable and a wonderful man to chat with.

Prettylady .. your so lucky to live in the US .. you can get so much more than I can. All of my brugs came from wonderful gardeners who wanted to share.

I have 18 brugs with many more cuttings already rooted and ready to pot up. They are so worth the wait .. not to mention the watering and feeding.

Laura
Page 1 of 3[123 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account