Bookmark and Share

Page 1 of 3[123 Last

Refinishing a old pie safe

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Spider_Lily photos
Posted: Dec/30/2005 1:39 AM PST

Some gave me a old pie safe it needs refinishing its really old .needs sanding, and screen in doors need replacing and varnishing or painted any one know where i should start ?what should i do .couldn,t let them throw it away.
Zana
Posted: Dec/30/2005 1:47 AM PST

remove the hardware ? ....[U][/U]And[U][/U]put it all in a safe place!!!!
fozbot3 blog photos
Posted: Dec/30/2005 2:21 AM PST

use wood filler to fill all the dings and holes, then give it a good sanding. remove the damaged screen first. i'd head for Home Depot or your local hardware store to see what's available for replacement screen. depending on the type of the wood or the shape it's in will determine if you want to varnish or paint. if it's too bad i'd paint it.
Spider_Lily photos
Posted: Dec/30/2005 2:34 AM PST

The wood is in fairly good condition the screen is a wire panelthe hinges are rusty ant the door pulls are made of wood
fozbot3 blog photos
Posted: Dec/30/2005 2:42 AM PST

rusty hinges can sometimes be rescued by a good soaking with rust remover. if the wood is good and you can get the old paint off(if there was old paint) i'd go ahead and varnish after prepping. Varathane is good. you can even get it w/stain in it if you want that.
treeman blog photos
Posted: Dec/30/2005 11:20 AM PST

If you are concerned with its value (they bring a pretty penny up here at auction), you are supposed to just clean it up, leaving its original and any add on paint jobs in tact. It is permissable to replace the tins if they are punctured or torn.

If you want it to look good and don't care about value, then you can strip it using a chemical furniture stripper. This will reveal the wood, which often is very attractive. Pie safes were usually made locally out of whatever wood was available at moment, as a utilitarian piece of furniture.... often several species are present. Because little concern was given to matching up woods, they were often painted rather than varnished.

If you like the wood seal it and finish it with poly urethane. if not, seal it and paint it. You should be able to find replacement tins for it.
swindyi
Posted: Dec/30/2005 12:41 PM PST

Spider is the pie safe painted or wood finished? If it is not painted there is a product I now use on old and antique furniture that is much better then the strippers it is by Minimax and the name is Antique refinisher. It just takes off the varnish and does not affect the original stain . It is a thin liquid that you apply with a steal-wool pad (0000) in a swirling motion . I have refinished furniture for many years and this is the best product I have come across as there is no sanding or stripping or raising of the wood grain . After you remove the finish you just rub down the piece with another steal wool pad and then apply the finish you want on it, you will be very pleased with the finish.
If it is painted I would just try to clean it up a bit and leave it like it is as the value is in the paint finish.

swindyi
pettyk44 photos
Posted: Dec/30/2005 12:54 PM PST

Please show us a picture of it would love to see it. Kathy
Spider_Lily photos
Posted: Dec/30/2005 9:25 PM PST

The wood has been varnished its some kind of light weight wood .im thinking about cleaning it and seal it and finish it with poly urethane like treeman said i hope i can do it .I just don,t want to mess it up .At least i saved it from the burn pile
vegemm photos
Posted: Dec/30/2005 10:25 PM PST

Is a pie safe the things that you sit in the window to let your pies cool...or they use to anyways?...As I have one of those and I use it to keep my teapots in in the dinning room..it to is old and the stain...a greenish color...is worn...the harnward has alot of ware ...but it is beautiful as is...I don't think you could even get the kind of scren that is in it...very heavy ...everyone that see it just loves it as is...I would say ...if that is what you have ...clean it a bit and leave it as is..
Page 1 of 3[123 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account