Page 1 of 1[1]

Montauk Daisy Question

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
LRoberts
Posted: Oct/30/2005 5:23 PM PST

Hi,

I read the recent post about someones daisys (great info in there - thanks!) but I've got a question about Montauk Daisys. The plants are about 2 years old and I didn't know at the time of planting just how big the "bush" gets. So, i'd like to move and cut back this fall. I'd like to check if now is the right time to do it. I'm in zone 5/6 and they are still blooming, though look like they're nearly done. When can I cut back and transplant? Also, do they do well in shade? I've got the perfect spot but want to be sure it thrives.

Thanks for your help!
Lisa
pennyandrusty
Posted: Oct/30/2005 5:47 PM PST

Here's a link I found. Seems like it needs full sun and pruning. Not sure about when to move it, but I would suspect when it is finished blooming and since it's a late bloomer, I would do it in spring. Hopefully, someone else will know the right time to transplant.

http://users.bestweb.net/~habitat/Montauk%20Dai sy.htm
flowerpower
Posted: Oct/31/2005 11:28 AM PST

I usually divide and/or move Daisies in the Spring. They are easy to divide. They do like full sun. If you cut them back after the first flowering, you usually get a second bloom period.
LRoberts
Posted: Apr/04/2006 3:13 PM PST

A quick follow-up to my question last fall. I dug one of the plants up in the fall just to see how it would do. I transplanted, trimmed and crossed my fingers.

All seems fine now because new buds are already formed on the old, trimmed branches. Would you believe that I even found some buds on a small branch I accidentaly left on the ground in the fall. It had started a little root system and has a few small buds. I dug it up and planted it in a new spot. These guys are resilient!
Lily8486
Posted: Apr/04/2006 4:58 PM PST

Oh how I miss Montauk Daisies!!!!!
I love them, My mom used to have a big bunch!!

:-)
Lily
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account