Bookmark and Share

Page 1 of 1[1]

Morning glory seed pods

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
SpringGlory3
Posted: Oct/30/2005 11:17 PM PST

Hi there I been watching my morning glory seed pods for awhile now and they are still green, the rest of the plant is dying off and i am not sure if i should pick the pods and set them aside to dry and then take the seeds out or what. I have never harvested seeds from morning glories before..please help??
flowerpower
Posted: Oct/31/2005 11:33 AM PST

I would leave them on the vine until they turn brown and get brittle. Seeds should be hard not mushy. I think they should self-sow in your area since they do in mine.
SpringGlory3
Posted: Oct/31/2005 4:56 PM PST

I am sure they would self sow but i want to harvest them so i can plant them in another area next spring. I am just afraid the pods with rot in all the rain we are getting now.
vegemm photos
Posted: Oct/31/2005 5:44 PM PST

HI Spring...they will not grow if you harvest then green...need to wait untul pod is like paper and the seeds indide are hard and most are black...Just take a paper cup out and hold under ad pop they will fall right out..
SpringGlory3
Posted: Oct/31/2005 6:47 PM PST

ok cool..thanks vegemm
noirdove photos
Posted: Jun/30/2007 11:58 AM PST

I've been growing the same Morning Glories for years now. Just pop open the heads after they are dry, and brown/black, and store them in a glass jar with a screw on lid. Re-plant in the spring.
bensmom98 blog photos
Posted: Sep/29/2007 5:36 AM PST

What will happen to my morning glory seed pods if they freeze before they are ripe (which is a distinct possibility)? Can I cut them off and bring them inside and let the pod ripen in the house?
Vera_EWASH
Posted: Oct/07/2007 11:29 AM PST

Wow...you MG's must of started blooming late! Mine started in mid June and I was harvesting fully matured seed by early August, but from the looks of some of them they were matured long before I started gathering them. I grew Sunrise Serenade and Star of Yelta.
Bensmom,
I'm still harvesting seeds and have had a few light frosts at 32 degrees since September 20th. Some of them are still blooming off and on and other's were killed off by the first frost. I guess it was a location thing so I say as long as the plants are still green they will continue to mature seed.

Vera
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account