Page 1 of 1[1]

My 4 o'clocks

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
BannedUser
Posted: Oct/23/2005 7:42 PM PST

I planted some 4'O clock seeds and they grew wonderfully. I transplanted them into the ground and right before they were to bloom the landscapers weed wacked the plant. I used miracle grow and it came back with a vengence. It looks great and it is way bigger than before. Now winter is coming and i would like to know how I could protect it. I don't want to take it out of the ground and move it inside so, any ideas?
(just incase we have a recorded breaking winter)

Jennifer
North Carolina
myscrewsbeloose
Posted: Oct/23/2005 8:46 PM PST

In your area four o' clocks should be a perennial. In other areas they are annuals. Don't rip them up, they have huge tap roots that would make that difficult plus they probably wouldn't survive anyway.

What are your winters like there? Or what zone are you?

We get some snow and ice and can drop well below freezing several days in a row. After the first hard frost they look like crap. They're black and laying flat on the ground. I just cut them back to the ground then toss some leaves over them.

They come back the next year, usually start to see them around mid June. You can tell they are the returning ones because their first growth will have a red tinge to it. Any seeds that fell will also sprout so regardless, you'll have four o' clocks next year too You could put a marker where each plant is so next year you'll remember and won't cut it back or try to pull them up. They are pretty distinctive when they start to come back though and won't just rip out. They're pretty determined so even if you make the mistake of pulling them up they'll keep coming back until you have all that tap root out.
sashweezy
Posted: Oct/23/2005 9:06 PM PST

It's reading things like this that I wish I didn't live in the far north. It's an annual for me. Is this your first post or did I miss one. Welcome anyway in case I haven't said that before.
Laine713
Posted: Oct/23/2005 11:36 PM PST

Up to what zone would they be considered perennial?
Laine713
Posted: Oct/24/2005 1:27 AM PST

Thanks for the information Ron. I was going to try them next year, now I will have to think about it.
TulsaRose photos
Posted: Oct/24/2005 10:19 AM PST

Ron, the Four O'clocks are hardy in the Tulsa, z6b area for sure. I have some with huge tubers that come back wonderfully every year. Collecting seeds and pulling out seedings is the best control you can have. Pinching back the young plants will make them less leggy, make a more compact bush.
The plants in this picture are in a north bed, mostly shade...I have all colors but this is my favorite...deep pink with white star in the throat.

Attachments:

myscrewsbeloose
Posted: Oct/24/2005 10:53 AM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron
Hardy to zone 9 without protection, zone 7and 8 with protection. The tops will die down each fall, the the spring new growth sprouts from the tuberous roots!
In your zone a lot of the seeds (I should say - all the seeds) that fall to the ground will germinate next spring. These seeds will sprout everywhere but where you want them to grow!
(I'm speaking from experience and will never grow them again as they are way too much work to keep them under control)!!!

Ahhh, it isn't that bad! LOL I learned that a hula hoe is my best friend with four o' clocks. Once a week from mid June until Mid August I just scrape my hula hoe around the areas where those plants are and kill the babes. Of course it's getting rid of any other weeds as well. Much easier then pulling!
Laine713
Posted: Oct/24/2005 3:35 PM PST

TulsaRose, that is a pretty color. I will give them a try next year. I heard that they are also good as container plants. Does anyone have any success with that method?
BannedUser
Posted: Oct/24/2005 7:26 PM PST

I have been around this site for a year i think i just don't get a chance to post much.

i just had a baby in sept and our oldest is soon 21 months.

thanks for the info. i do want this pant to get a little out of control for it is in front of our bedroom window and I would like something that would keep the sun out in late afternoon. Plus my husband usually comes home late and i think the evening fragace and flowers would be relaxing for him.

my plant has yellow flowers.

thanks again
jennifer
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account