Page 1 of 1[1]

Need help to id this plant, please!

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Rockpainter
Posted: Oct/03/2005 8:35 PM PST

This plant popped up in an area where we are bringing in land fill...it has long white bell shaped flowers that are sweet yet kind of funky smelling. Then a spiney "fruit" (not edible) grows where the flower wilted. The leaves are big and the stock of the plant is big...at first I thought it would be some kind of vegetable, but now I have no idea...please help!

Attachments:

racegirl2004
Posted: Oct/03/2005 9:13 PM PST

Check this link, it has pics and a description.http://www.zanthan.com/gardens/plan ts/datura.html
Rockpainter
Posted: Oct/04/2005 1:18 AM PST

Thank you soooo much Racegirl2004. You provided the answer!
jlberry06
Posted: Oct/04/2005 1:32 AM PST

OMG....
I have one of these in my garden. They are beautiful plants but I sure did'nt know they were poisonous. The only thing is that mine don't smell bad, matter of fact, it don't smell at all, and the leaves nerver wilted this year nor did the stalks split like it said in the description of it.
My neighbors have small dogs and cats , I don't know if they chew on plants, they sure like to poop and pee on them though LOL...
Should I try to get rid of this plant? I don't want to hurt any animals.
club53
Posted: Oct/04/2005 10:51 PM PST

There is also a plant, I think it's called trumpet flower , and it looks just like a civilized version of jimson weed. I planted a few last year -- hated them Those can be purchased at local nurseries, etc.

This year one of the wild jimson weeds came up near my bird feeders. That wretched thing got to almost 6' tall and I chopped it down before the seed pods broke open so I wouldn't have more jimsons that Carter has pills next year.. and I mean chopped because the stem was about 3" in diameter. They pop up in places like pig pens, etc., are very aggressive, and oh yes, poisonous as an added little extra asset
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account