Page 1 of 1[1]

Keeping Turnips???

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
kinnika photos
Posted: Sep/28/2005 6:07 PM PST

I have an awesome crop of turnips this year and I was wondering the best way to keep them over the winter..I have a large cold room and the temp stays about 36-40, I also have an extra fridge that I keep the carrots in.. I have never done turnips before and I have no intentions of waxing them so can any one tell me what is the best way.
Daisy
Posted: Sep/28/2005 8:39 PM PST

Kinnika, I remember my grandmother storing them in her cold room for the entire winter without any problems...she never waxed them but wrapped each one in newspaper and kept them lined up on a shelf. Boy did we ever used to eat a lot of turnips!
sedumgrow
Posted: Sep/28/2005 8:41 PM PST

kannika,,i love fresh turnips,,,i wash em,,let em dry,,peel em,,slice em and freeze em. my grandma used to put em the shed,tied with a nylon stocking and dry them,,,we had turnips most of the year.i cook them like potatoes,,drain water,mash them,add butter and sweeten to taste.yum yum.turnips like a few other foods are an aquired taste.but my family loves them.
Daisy
Posted: Sep/28/2005 8:48 PM PST

Sedum, that sounds like a great idea! I had not thought to freeze them, mainly because I hate peeling them, lol! BTW, my kids actually like them raw...go figure.
sashweezy
Posted: Sep/28/2005 9:53 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by Daisy
Sedum, that sounds like a great idea! I had not thought to freeze them, mainly because I hate peeling them, lol! BTW, my kids actually like them raw...go figure.

Your kids are normal Daisy. They are delicious raw ie unless they are old turnips and a little woody.
kinnika photos
Posted: Sep/28/2005 10:42 PM PST

Thanks a million guys..I had thought about freezing them but didn't know if I could..We love them cooked with carrots then mashed with butter..yummmm. I also use a lot in stews in the winter and just got tired of buying them as they taste like cardboard from the store..Thanks again..I guess my day tomorrow will be freezing turnips...anyone want to help?????
sashweezy
Posted: Sep/29/2005 12:45 AM PST

I would but you are a little too far away!
kinnika photos
Posted: Oct/20/2005 8:04 PM PST

Okay I now have 4 big bags of turnips in my freezer..I can hardly wait until stew season arrives so I can see how they taste..Thanks again for the idea.
Spider_Lily photos
Posted: Oct/29/2005 1:58 AM PST

hi kinnika this is how i keep turnips cut the tops clean them wash good steam them till almost done cook the roots the same way cool them put in freezer bags and freeze when you want some all you have to do is cook them for a couple mins and they are done .quick and easy and sooooooooo good .
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account