Bookmark and Share

Page 1 of 2[12 Last

How to mulch roses for winter

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
karslinky blog photos
Posted: Sep/29/2005 6:46 PM PST

I am very new at roses and bought two this year (one at 70% off - $3.98!). The other one is a Barbra Streisand - absolutely gorgeous and the best smellin' rose I've ever grown! (see above ). I want them to make it through an upstate NY winter, so I want to mulch it properly. I have a leaf vacuum/mulcher but have read that if leaves are used to make sure they are composted, and I probably won't have time to compost. What do people use for mulching? Can I place a used plastic pot (the kind you buy large plants in from the nursery?) around the base and fill that with mulch? Thanks ahead of time...
BlueBelle
Posted: Sep/29/2005 8:46 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by karslinky
I am very new at roses and bought two this year (one at 70% off - $3.98!). The other one is a Barbra Streisand - absolutely gorgeous and the best smellin' rose I've ever grown! (see above ). I want them to make it through an upstate NY winter, so I want to mulch it properly. I have a leaf vacuum/mulcher but have read that if leaves are used to make sure they are composted, and I probably won't have time to compost. What do people use for mulching? Can I place a used plastic pot (the kind you buy large plants in from the nursery?) around the base and fill that with mulch? Thanks ahead of time...

I'm waiting for this info too. I was thinking of mounding my new rose with earth, but don't know whether it needs more than that. It's in the front yard, so I'd rather now have to put one of those ugly styrofoam cones around it.
Whitmore1
Posted: Oct/01/2005 7:47 AM PST

Use soil as a mulch. Straw, leaves, wood chips, etc. tend to draw mice and they will gnaw on the bark of the rose bush through the winter. Dig up some soil and mound it over the bushes to a depth of 12-18 inches over the area where the branches first emerge from the soil.
karslinky blog photos
Posted: Oct/08/2005 8:11 PM PST

Thanks for the info!
Billl1
Posted: Oct/09/2005 3:02 PM PST

HI : I would follow the advice given to you by Whitmore1, it is very sound advice.
A thought for the future , I live in z 6 b across the River from Port Huron Mi. in Sarnia ,Ontario,Canada.
I plant all my grafted roses with the bud union (The section that is thicker ,with the new canes growing out & up from)At least 4 -6 inches below ground . We have done this for a number of years with no losses. We do not do any other winter protection.
Feel free to contact me if I can be of any help.

Hope this info helps.

Bill
MamaBearBSA photos
Posted: Oct/11/2005 1:50 AM PST

Hey Whit, that is what I do too. And my butterfly bushes too.
karslinky blog photos
Posted: Oct/26/2005 2:08 PM PST

MamaBear - regarding butterfly bushes - I lost one last year - it never started growing in the spring after I cut it down to the ground the fall before (read somewhere that you can do that). When I went to check out the roots the root covering came off and there was a slime layer ( ) under it! The area I planted it is more shade than it probably should be for a butterfly bush, but I never knew there was a proper way to plant it.... I really want one though, so I may have to find a place for it in the front yard, which gets more light.
MamaBearBSA photos
Posted: Oct/26/2005 10:53 PM PST

They do like full sun. I cut mine back in the fall but not to the ground. I leave 12 to 18 inches of branches then mulch with soil about 6 inches up. Then mulch with straw or dead leafs.
Gabbysgarden blog photos
Posted: Jun/20/2008 3:03 AM PST

I too lost some butterfly bushes after the winter. In retrospect, they were in the wrong place. Have two waiting to go in right now and looking for the right place. Never knew that roses had to be mulched for the winter. Do you wait for the first frost to mulch? Do you put something (like the large plastic pot) around the plant to fill with soil? Does the soil have to come off early so the stems don't begin to rot? Really a newbie at this although have had my roses for a long time. Have never had luck until I found this site. Used the banana water and it is absolutely amazing what it has done for the roses. I was ready to pull some of them out. I have (english rose), Gertrude Jekyll - Ausbord, a hybrid tea and two Betty Prior roses that are such prolific bloomers - they are so eye catching in the garden and will bloom until frost. Will mulch all this year.
sassmuffin blog photos
Posted: Jun/20/2008 6:33 AM PST

I use the mostly leaves in the fall, I am going to do some mounding this year and rose cones. Only because I have to prune back so far every spring. With mounding you do that after the first frost, and you remove it in spring by washing it away with watering, or careful digging it away, it should be done gradually as the weather warms so as not to induce shock for one of those late surpise frosts. hope this helps

sass
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account