Page 1 of 3[123 Last

Mysterious Squash

Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
SquashBlossom
Posted: Sep/27/2005 11:44 AM PST

Good morning all. I came to this site in search of help but now that I have joined and read many of the threads I am happy to have found such a useful group. I hope someone can help.

I have been trying to identify what I am assuming is a squash related plant that randomly seeded itself among my sunflowers this summer. It began as a creeping vine with beautiful white flowers that typically bloom in the evening and whither in the sunlight. They look less squash-like and more like a delicate hibiscus. I thought them rather attractive so I let the vine take hold in my flowers. About 3 weeks ago I noticed a rather large "fruit" hanging alongside a sunflower stem. It looks like a zucchini. Several of my neighbors are also avid gardeners with healthy vegetable gardens but we are all stumped about what variety this might be. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you
RandyCobb
Posted: Sep/27/2005 1:50 PM PST

I have had several volunteer squash grow in my garden and they are not true to the original plant from which the seed came. I have one out in the garden now that looks like a combination of butternut and hubbard.
SquashBlossom
Posted: Sep/28/2005 12:55 AM PST

Thanks Randy. What has me most confused is the flowers. Currently there is only one healthy "squash" and I can't bring myself to end it yet. At the end of the season, which won't be long here, I'll open it up to look at the seeds. Maybe some one else has some ideas.
vegemm photos
Posted: Sep/30/2005 1:58 AM PST

HI Squash Blossom...Welcome to GG...Could you maybe post a picture of your vine/flower and squash...
Freckles
Posted: Oct/05/2005 4:28 AM PST

If it has a white flower, it could be a gourd instead of a squash. The apple, and birdhouse gourds are both that have white blooms on them. I can't think of anything off hand in the squash family that has a white flower.
flowerpower
Posted: Oct/05/2005 10:37 AM PST

If the flowers are blooming at night, it is more than likely a type of Birdhouse gourd. It is also called Calabash Gourd.The leaves are softer and more velvet-like compared to a pumpkin. The flowers are a different shape also. Pumpkin is a deep cup. Birdhouse has a more "flat" look and seems to have petals on it.
Kale
Posted: Oct/09/2005 4:49 AM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by flowerpower
If the flowers are blooming at night, it is more than likely a type of Birdhouse gourd. It is also called Calabash Gourd.The leaves are softer and more velvet-like compared to a pumpkin. The flowers are a different shape also. Pumpkin is a deep cup. Birdhouse has a more "flat" look and seems to have petals on it.
LOL I Planted saved seed from my butternutsquash and got this..only I never saw white flowers...hummm.. Ill have toocheck my pics,I know I have them like crazy this year in a different place.I am thinking they are Bind weed or morning glories..
Thanx for IDing..

Kale

Attachments:

Kale
Posted: Oct/09/2005 4:52 AM PST

OH BTW a down the street nieghbor has YellowNeck gourds growing all up his awning and roof ,that plant has white flowers. They were still open when I walked past there around 630-730 pm.

Kale
flowerpower
Posted: Oct/09/2005 11:26 AM PST

Kale, that is a Butternut in your pic. It still needs to color-up. Butternut has orange flowers. Do you think you can get a pic of the Yellowneck gourd? I have heard of Swan Neck but not Yellow. Thanks

The small, brightly colored and patterned ornamental gourds are all Cucurbita pepo. Gourds grown for the internal fiber and sold as 'vegetable sponges' are Luffa spp. Other gourds used as dippers and containers are Lagenaria spp. (bottle gourd) or Ovifera spp.
Kale
Posted: Oct/09/2005 7:35 PM PST

Hummm...

Are you sure??

The small one his yellow with green stripes and a different shape..

http://gregnmary.zapto.org/sq/index0.html

Kale
Page 1 of 3[123 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account