Page 1 of 1[1]

Midwest Fruit Tree Care?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
mbvirtue blog photos
Posted: Mar/11/2006 12:11 AM PST

Thanks, Treeman. I was kind of hoping I'd hear from you, as from what I've read, you know a heck of a lot about these things. Now the frustration of having to wait 'til there's fruit.....(Not like I don't have anything else growing here)
mbvirtue blog photos
Posted: Mar/08/2006 2:44 AM PST

Ummm...ok you guys and gals were so good and quick to get the edibles in the shade, here's another one. I hope this is where I should ask about pruning. I've inherited two apple trees (no clue what kind, other than *early*-end of August) and a peach tree with the house we bought a year ago.

Main question with the apple trees: they're almost 20' tall and have never been pruned, I fear. How can I maintain the fruit production and still be able to get to the things? One seems to be the primary fruit producer, it's mate in the backyard doesn't do much at all. Also who should I ask about what kind of tree it is?

Peach Tree: Other than being completely amazed that you can grow peaches up here, I need advice on how to avoid the tree becoming so tall I can't reach the fruit. I'm told by a neighbor the tree produces heavily every other year, so this year will be a relief, as we had over 100lbs in one weekend last year!!!!

Again, thanks in advance...

Margaret:redapple:
treeman blog photos
Posted: Mar/08/2006 4:34 AM PST

Welcome Margaret.... First i would suggest you visit your local extension agent office. they will have good literature on on home fruit production, including prunning. Sounds like you have a a pretty good reclamation project, but in all likihood very doable. Your local extension agent shopuld know of any Master Gardener orgs in the area. MGs actually act as an arm of extension and are trained volunteers who may be available to visit and offer hands on instruction.

IDing the varieties will probably have to wait till you have near mature fruit. There are literally hundreds of apple and peach varieties and an orchard pro may need to be consulted.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account