Page 1 of 2[12 Last

Will Canterbury Bells return

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Wildie
Posted: Jul/15/2005 6:21 PM PST

Biennials, mean they grow 1year, then the 2nd year they flower, seed, and die. I'm looking at planting a biennial next year and was recommended by an avid gardener to plant 1/2 my seeds next year and the other 1/2 the following year!!!
I was also told that perennials won't survive winter in a container b/c the roots will freeze, even if they are bought indoors....I hope this helps.
BannedUser
Posted: Jul/15/2005 5:25 PM PST

HELLO!!!
I LOVE CAMPANULAS!!! Mine are in containters, though....does anyone have advice on wintering over perrenials or biennials in container gardens...I am worrying about Fall ...I have Foxglove, gloxinia, delphinium, loads of different campanula species, corydalis, roses, echinacea, daisy, hollyhock, clematis, jacobs ladder, etc. and all are in containers and doing great...even the morning glories are almost 10 feet high...but I don't want to lose everything come winter...I know I will lose morning glories and hollyhocks, but the rest I am desperately searching through books to figure out a way to save in containers. I have no garage or greenhouse or even spare bedroom with grow light, because we rent. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you in advance for taking time out of your day to read my long message.
moby
Posted: Jul/07/2005 7:25 PM PST

To my understanding they are biannuals also. I hope mine comes back.
Judomi blog photos
Posted: Jul/16/2005 2:02 AM PST

I have the following perennials in containers and they survive the winter without any problems: crimson scabiosa, delphinium, maltese cross, columbine, spiderwort, beebalm and liatris.
junco
Posted: Jul/11/2005 12:32 AM PST

The one year I had Canterbury Bells I somehow noticed the baby buds and deadheaded CAREFULLY and had 4 bloom cycles. I let the last ones go to seed and even planted the seeds, but to no avail. Maybe I should have saved the seeds and started them indoors in early spring to transplant later in the garden. Hindsight is always 20-20, lol.
The upside to this is that I hadn't realized other campanulas had teeny tiny buds at the bases of the first flowers. I had been whacking off my tall perenniel bellflowers when they were spent. So after discovering the Canterburys' 2nd set of buds, I checked the other campanulas and surprise!! Teeny tiny buds!!
The downside is that it is soooo painstaking to snip off just the dead flowers. I haven't had time to do it yet this season here at home, but have done it to the dwarf bellflowers and started to do the Kent Belles at the lake. My neck and back ache just thinking about all the hunching over.
We are going to be home now till Thurs. so maybe I'll get them done this week.
Judomi blog photos
Posted: Jul/06/2005 10:47 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by junco
I have tried Canterbury Bells twice, even deliberately planting the seeds and they never came back.
I had Sweet William for years before I knew it was a biennial. (passalong from my mom-in-law). It came back every year and then just sort of stopped and never grew again, even though I planted those seeds, too.
Last year a neighbor gave me some Rose Campion, which is thriving and I hope to keep it going. Foxgloves have fooled me by dying out completely and coming back TWO years after I planted them.
Gardening is full of surprises.

junco, you will have rose campions forever. They are prolific resseders. They pop up in the most unexpected places.
junco
Posted: Jul/06/2005 9:57 PM PST

I have tried Canterbury Bells twice, even deliberately planting the seeds and they never came back.
I had Sweet William for years before I knew it was a biennial. (passalong from my mom-in-law). It came back every year and then just sort of stopped and never grew again, even though I planted those seeds, too.
Last year a neighbor gave me some Rose Campion, which is thriving and I hope to keep it going. Foxgloves have fooled me by dying out completely and coming back TWO years after I planted them.
Gardening is full of surprises.
myscrewsbeloose
Posted: Jul/06/2005 10:46 AM PST

Somebody should tell my canterbury bells they aren't supposed to be returning. Most I pulled out but I left three. They all came back. I know they aren't from seeds as they grew exactly where a stake was. (I put stakes next to each plant so that when spring comes I know what's a weed and what is not)
BannedUser
Posted: Jul/06/2005 4:50 AM PST

I bought 2 beautiful flowers that stand about 3 1/2 foor tall. My friend says they are a Biennial and will not come back next year. I just read that Hollyhocks are Biennial and their seeds can be left to fall to the ground and will come back. Why doesn't this work for Canterbury Bells??
maggieevans photos
Posted: Jul/07/2005 8:13 PM PST

Last year I planted canterbury bells, they came up and then died without blooming. This year they came up and have been beautiful. They are on their second flush of blooms now.The blooms aren't as big as the first flush but still pretty. I didn't know they would bloom a second time until I went to check for seed and saw all the new buds. These blooms are almost gone and I am noticing more buds beginning to form. Does anyone know how long they will bloom. I sure hope they will come back next year because I'm so pleased wih their performance. If I can find some seed I'm going to plant them to ensure that I will have some next year.
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account