Sep 21, 2008 | 6:21 AM PST
I finally got a chance to go outside and do something! First, I had to clean my beloved porch. We haven't enjoyed it in ages and it was a mess. When my publisher came the other day, he had to move the climbing rose branches that had fallen off the trellis and were covering the steps. How embarrassing was that! The porch was a mess, but I eventually got all the spider webs down, the floor swept, plants watered, the furniture cleaned, and swept the walk. Next stop: The Poison Garden. There were huge clumps of seeding grass and milkweed. I got most of it out and edged it. Hubby had weed-eaten around the yard the other day, but he always misses spots. Says he can't half see with the safety glasses on. Sure. I believe that. He's just in a hurry to get it done. The Butterfly Garden and The Hibiscus Garden looked pretty good. The Old Gourd Garden looks sad without any color in there. Next, The Front Flower bed needed edging and weeding. The artemesia had flopped over everything and the mint was bountiful. I got that cleaned up and then went to The Quarter Round. Just as I started pulling some sour grass (clover), I disturbed some fire ants. Okie-dokie, we'll leave that one for later. Hubby sprayed it for me, so I can get back to it when I know they are gone! I picked a few weeds and some grass from both natural areas, but I must have done a good job of mulching the last time. Not too bad. The camellia in the second natural area is half dead, though. One side gone, the other green. I need to prune off the dead wood and see what happens. I need to just pull the whole thing out and trash it because it has NEVER bloomed. Around to the back. The Back Flower Bed needed edging along the walkway and a few stray weeds. I edged around The Rock Garden. It wasn't in too bad of shape. The Beach needed edging, but it was just too much to mess with. I asked Hubby if he had run out of gas at that point. I think that he had just skipped it by accident. Besides, I was getting pooped. I remembered about the pineapple top that I had tried to root. I had stuck it in the Potting Shed Bed and forgot about it. Glory be, it was growing. I got it out, watered it, and put it on the patio. Now I'll have to talk Son into keeping it alive in his solarium through the winter. I was real pleased that things in the beds weren't a total mess. It wasn't as neglected as I had pictured. Getting things back into shape won't take too long at all.