11 February 2011 Round 4 - Day 0 Round 3 - Day 1 Round 2 - Day 23 Round 1 - Day 28
My daytime plans fell through this morning which has left me with an overcast day with hours of unexpected free time on my hands. The result: more seeds to start. Well, and a little clean up as well. I've been so busy that my gardening area was getting a little cluttered and was screaming for some organization.
So after I cleaned all my containers for transplanting up and starting seeds in and prepared them for soil and all that, I mixed up my standard mix for seedlings and got to work. The Mesclun Mix went into another of the red containers that I've got, and this time instead of covering the seeds with more of that standard mix, I covered with straight potting soil. It seems to me that the sprouts would have an easier time popping up without obstacles in their way.
I also am trying to start some bell peppers from seeds that I saved from an organic green bell pepper and mini yellow and red sweet peppers I bought from the store. These guys are just for fun. Hopefully they grow and produce and will save me from procuring some sweet pepper seeds, but if they dont, at least I'll not be out anything but some potting soil. ;o)
I also found some blueberries that never got planted last year, still stored in the peat and plastic in the burlap sack, so I took those out and planted them some pots. I was going to put them outside in tires, but when I took them out of the plastic and peat, they kind of disintegrated so all I had to work with was a small root ball with a tiny dried out stick sticking out of it. For these guys, I mixed up 1 part Fish Bone Meal with 3 parts Aged Steer Manure and 3 parts Potting Soil to see if that may help bring them back to life. I'm hoping since they were store properly that they may still come back, but we shall see. . .
And then I decided to change my potato set up for chitting (thanks for the info, bsmitch!) and moved the potatoes to an egg carton and covered them with a damp paper towel. . .switched it up now instead of waiting cuz it just makes sense to me to add a little moisture (paper towel) and air flow (egg carton). So here's how that looks now. . .
And I almost forgot. . .I decided to move the Kale upstairs to the dining room since that first seedling has yet to emerge from the soil, and nothing is happening in the other 3 bottles. Hopefully the light and heat upstairs will motivate them to get to growing! haha
And then I've got updates and growth charts for seed started in Rounds 1 & 2, but I just haven't had time to type it up, so I'll probably do that later, after I make my oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Gotta love the unexpected free days!
Today, I ran into Molbak's in Woodinville to grab some Fish Bone Meal and, of course, I get sidetracked and walk out with more than I intended, and way less than I wanted. . .but I did walk out with the bone meal, another seed tray and the seed catalog that I've been waiting over a month for (and still did not receive). I also picked up a few more seeds while I was out earlier in the day, so my plan for the day was set.
I had picked up some Colombines, Nasturtiums and Hollycocks for my own pleasure and placed the colombines in the fridge and I'll plant those in a week. The Nasturtiums I plan on starting in the next round of seed starts, most likely within the next couple of weeks, depending on space.
I mixed up my standard soil mix for seeds (a combo of aged steer manure, potting soil and perlite), filled up the cells and got out my seeds for the tray.
In the seed tray I planted the following:
1. Hollycock - (1 seed per cell x 18 cells) planted 1/8" deep 2. Echinacea Purpurea - (2 seeds per cell x 9 cells) planted 1/8" deep 3. Red Kale - (3 seeds per cell x 3 cells) planted 1/8" deep 4. Black Beauty Zucchini - (1 seed per cell x 3 cells) planted 3/4" deep 5. Yellow Squash - (1 seed per cell x 3 cells) planted 3/4" deep
I'm keeping this tray on the window sill in the dining room which receives about 6 hours of direct sunlight and indirect sunlight all day long, so there should be plenty of sunshine for these seeds and hopefully the kale in this tray won't take as long as the kale I've got in the re-purposed water bottles in the garage. If they do germinate faster, I will most likely be moving all the plants I can out of the garage. . .we do have an empty guest room I could take over till the weather warms. . .
Two days ago, I picked up some potatoes (purple, honey gold, ruby fingerlings and a white flesh Japanese sweet potato) and am chitting those by placing them in indirect light in a relatively warm room (in my case, the dining room under a plant stand) until they start to sprout.
Chitting is a method of preparing potatoes or other tubers for planting. The seed potatoes are placed in a tray (often in egg cartons)
in a light and cool place with a little water. All but one of the
"eyes" (sprouting parts) of the potato are removed, leaving the
strongest growth only. Once the sprouts are about 1 inch (2.5 cm) long,
the seed potatoes are planted in the ground.