Dec 18, 2009 | 8:21 PM PST
I just noticed that I became a member of Garden Guides two years ago today and I want to thank everyone for putting up with some of my crazy moments. I also want to express to everyone my appreciation for all that I have learned about life and gardening from all of you. Bill Mitchell
I've read that Poinsettia is poisonous but not so. After research, read the following.
For years we were warned that poinsettias – those beautiful red and
pink flowering plants we display at Christmastime – were poisonous.
Parents magazines, medical books and guides, and even doctors
and veterinarians cautioned us to keep the beautiful plants out of the
reach of children and pets for fear that they might nibble on the flowers or the leaves which were believed to be toxic. In fact, some books still indicate poinsettias are poisonous.
Thanks to more recent testing, however, it is no longer
necessary to keep your beautiful poinsettia plants on high shelves and
out of reach. The long-standing belief that poinsettias were poisonous
has finally been proven to be nothing more than a myth – a false alarm.
According to a source at the Poison Control
Center in Madison, Wisconsin, most of the fear originated from the
death of one child in Hawaii in 1918 who was believed to have eaten a
poinsettia plant. However, experts are no longer sure this death really
had anything to do with the ornamental plant.
In fact, a research study conducted at Ohio State University in
more recent years reveals that poinsettias are not truly poisonous at
all. The study conclusively proved that all parts of the plant are
Today the National Capital Poison Center in Washington, DC and
poison control centers across the country list the poinsettia as a
Enjoy your favorite Christmas plant, Bill Mitchell
Dec 1, 2009 | 10:54 AM PST
I was worried about mitzilou because I noticed she has been absent for three days and she post here and in the forums everyday. I called her to see if the blueberry cobbler that I gave her on Thanksgiving day made her sick. Luckily that wasn't the problem. Her computer got sick with a virus and is at the computer hospital. It is expected to fully recover and be back soon. Reporting from Kentucky, Bill Mitchell