We built a raised bed for them, made sure they wouldn't be too close to the shed, did the best we could to "pump up" the dirt we filled the bed with, planted the recommended space apart, let them settle in last year without producing fruit. They survived the winter FABULOUSLY! and now they are ripening like crazy!!
What's the problem you say? They're TOO full and they aren't getting enough air circulation down the center of the long rectangular bed and several are just molding before we can get to them! I hate to lose even one to something that I think I should be able to control!! OK, the obvious answer would be to just thin them out. Yeah right, not to a pack-rat personality like me, I don't stop eating when I could and probably should just throw out what I didn't finish on my plate, THAT WOULD BE WASTING, and I can't seem to trim my indoor plants and just throw away the clippings, I HAVE TO TRY TO ROOT THEM BACK INTO THE POT, and so on and so on...pull out a plant to permanently get rid of it when possibly it could become another separate but whole plant, IMPOSSIBLE!!
so the obvious answer to me is.....
let my hubby do it....he has no conscience...he just wants the DANG STRAWBERRIES